Thread: Huawei Question

Huawei Question

Hey Folks,

Hopefully somone can answer this one for me. I just purchased a Huawei katana and am waiting for it to be shipped to me. Having owned a couple in the past I can say that their kats are very well put together, however I despise their artifically patinated gilt fittings.

Anyways, from what I understand, the fittings are supposed to be copper. I was thinking of stripping the fittings down to base and polishing em up as I like the look of plain copper fittngs. However I was wondering if anyone has done this on these type of fittings or know for a fact that they are a copper base?

If they are a copper base, what would be the best route to remove the finish and gilting, would some sort of paint stripper work?

Many thanks.

Hey Andrew,

first off all, ugh... your tsuka came back to me today. I don't know why. I'm mailing it out again today. Sorry, you've been eagerly awaiting it.

Now, the fittings are actually brass. By "copper base" I am sure they don't mean solid copper, but just a fancy term for brass. You really can't have cast copper fittings. It'll work... but the fittings would be soft as butter.

Huawei does have some plain iron fittings. I have been curios as to how their blades are so I ordered one myself.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

I went ahead and stripped them down. They are in fact copper plated brass....