Thread: Can you help me identify this sword?

Can you help me identify this sword?

Photos at:

http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad37/ciab600/sword/

What kind of sword is this? I got this sword out of an estate and I don't know anything about it. The previous owner had spray painted the blade so it would look better hanging on his wall but this is not a replica sword. It is roughly 26 inches long from handle to blade and weighs roughly 2.75 lbs. The handle is wood and what appears to be brass. It is a fighting sword but I was hoping for some more information about it's place of origin and time frame.

I had a guy tell me it looked like a Chinese Dao sword and suggested I put a thread in this forum. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Matthew Krup; 03-01-2012 at 01:50 PM.

My first impression is that it's a replica dao, and not a fighting sword. Superficially, it looks like a Chinese dao. The blade is not ground like a dao; it looks like a slab of sheet steel with an edge ground on it and a narrow fuller cut into it. Also wider than a usual dao blade. It's also much heavier than I'd expect a fighting sword.

But with the general resemblance of the blade shape to a dao, and the close-to-Chinese guard, grip, and pommel, it looks very much like an imitation dao. So much, I don't think it is anything else. My guess would be imitation/replica oxtail dao (niuweidao), for display or stage/screen or martial arts, 20th century. Where from? Western? Philippines?

How thick is it? Is the thickness uniform from guard to near the tip?
    "In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.