Thread: New tsuba from Bartosz Ulatowski

New tsuba from Bartosz Ulatowski

I am the lucky owner of this tsuba which is going on my massive Shinshinto katana. A lovely, simplistic design executed very well by Bartosz.

Moon behind clouds, the tsuba is copper and the moons are silver. I came up with the idea after looking long at the blade I have and feeling that the hamon looks like clouds when the mood is directly behind them illuminating them. I have a fuchi and kashira (different than my pictured sets) that I made with a full moon and crescent moon design on it as well. The size of the tsuba is fairly large, 4mm thick, 3.25 inches tall, 3 inches wide, but the extremely large nakago makes the tsuba look like a wakizashi sized tsuba. I don't have calipers, but I imagine the blade is probably close to 12mm at the thickest point of the shinogi ji just past the habaki.

More pictures soon, and when I get it, pictures of it mounted. Bartosz did an excellent job.

After the tsuba patina treatment the silver is a little orange colored, but I might see how it looks first before cleaning them off myself.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

I'd leave it like this. I think it looks wonderful. Congratulations Aaron!
    Oblivion is the shield of the mind

Lovely piece of art there. I've been a fan of work by mr. Ulatowski for long time. Can't wait to see it mounted on a sword. That moon design is very original and innovative yet executed in traditonal manner.
    Jussi Ekholm

That's a pleasant and understated design... ...congrats, Aaron. What did you use to create the brown/orange patina?

And why do I suddenly have a craving for a milk chocolate wafer?

Quote Originally Posted by Ty N. View Post
    That's a pleasant and understated design... ...congrats, Aaron. What did you use to create the brown/orange patina?

And why do I suddenly have a craving for a milk chocolate wafer?

Bartosz actually details his patina recipe on his site www.daisho.pl . Copper sulfate and rokoshu recipe which is pretty much how the Japanese did it. Creates a thick and durable patina. I have been unable to find the chemicals locally so I do an alternate patina method with a solution called Baldwin's patina. Difference being its more similar to an old penny finish. Bartosz's finish looks much more purposeful.

I'll admit, it looks tasty.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

A very nice piece of art Aaron, well executed and I love the simple understated elegance of the design

Absolutely Beautiful piece Aaron, congratulations! What will the rest of the furmiture be like? More contemporary pieces or do you have antique F+K that you will be pairing this with?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Perry View Post
    Absolutely Beautiful piece Aaron, congratulations! What will the rest of the furmiture be like? More contemporary pieces or do you have antique F+K that you will be pairing this with?

I have two different fuchi and kashira sets I will be trying. Set I made myself, the other is a copper fuchi made by someone (no idea who) that I made a kashira for. I already added a new kashira to the tsuka of the existing katana (successfully took off the old one and redid the knots without any shortening) and I added a silver crescent moon to the existing fuchi (the one not made by me).

I will use either one depending on how this tsuba fits, if I need new seppa, or if I can leave everything the way it is.

This is the alternate set.

Ronin Outpost

Thank you for kind words and also I'm very glad Aaron that my work fulfill your expectations.

You lucky one, very nice tsuba , always been a big fan of Bartosz work,
    (and of yours Aaron)

Ronin Outpost

Great looking combo there Aaron! It looks very nice. Your habaki looks very good too. I'd might just try to get the patina on the habaki more even, but I suspect it is already matched to the tsuba, and it looks to have a lighter hue from the lighting on that picture.

What blade is that by the way?
    Oblivion is the shield of the mind

The habaki actually looks pretty good to me, especially paired with that fuchi. If it was just the tsuba it would seem odd as that seems a little more uniform at a glance, but looking at the pieces together as a set it works.

Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Silva View Post
    Great looking combo there Aaron! It looks very nice. Your habaki looks very good too. I'd might just try to get the patina on the habaki more even, but I suspect it is already matched to the tsuba, and it looks to have a lighter hue from the lighting on that picture.

What blade is that by the way?
    That's my massive Shinshinto blade. 30 inch nagasa, 11-12mm thick blade. Big blade needed a decently large tsuba. I'm making my own tsuba right now, but I hired Bartosz because I wanted something special on this blade.

Ronin Outpost

Thanks for giving us the eye candy. That is massive, and the koshirae fit it very well.
    Jussi Ekholm

Very nice, I love copper and the colors it can all have.. you really have a nice set here.
    More Sweat In Training Less Blood In Combat
    My Site