Thread: Mle 1822 French cavalry officers sword from DRC

Mle 1822 French cavalry officers sword from DRC

Hi
    I recently bought a sword that a pilot from the SA airforce, brought back from the democratic republic of the Congo.
    I assume the sword belonged to a Belguim officer as the DRC was formerly known as the Belguim Congo.

I have been collecting swords for about 2 years now but still have a lot to learn.
    Please could a forum member advise, if the sword is authentic and from what period.
    Information on the makers mark would also bee appreciated.
    The hilt covering, looks like it is made from horn or bone.

According to an internet search, the 2 roses on the hilt, indicate it was made between 1830 and 1840.??

Regards
    Ray Gunn
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Hello
    Yes it is an officer light cavalry 1822 french pattern ..true the roses are the early model...but anyway all of them have engraved on the back of the blade the month with year of creation from Klingenthal or Chatellerault...i have two on my website...lovely swords very used in...duels
    cheers

Ray.
    The Belgians used a sabre modeled on the French M1822.I have attached some images for comparison.The most pronounced difference would be tip of the blade.The grip changed over time as did the scabbard attachments.They are usually marked with a date and arsenal stamps at the ricasso.Earlier blades were sourced from Klingenthal and are marked on the spine and subsequently they were manufactured at the Belgian state arsenal and marked at the ricasso.Officiers may have had some flexability in sourcing their own sabres.

The M1822 was used by many countries.I don't recognise the makers stamp on your example.

See http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...t=#post1134089
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by niall dignan; 04-06-2012 at 07:42 AM.
    Niall Dignan

Hello Ray
    the logo figuring on your blade (looking like an anvil) was the one for "France Lames", the company provides these days the blades for the ceremonial swords for the French army since 1983...so the blade might be fairly new with an old 1822 hilt rebuilt...may be why the peened end seems so large on your pic...
    i am afraid France Lames is getting bankrupted as we speak so will be tough to get infos from them.
    Hope it helps
    Best regards
    Last edited by Yves Casa; 04-06-2012 at 08:49 AM.

Hi
    Sorry about the belated thank you to all Forum members whom gave input.
    This forum is a great help to novice collectors like me.
    Thank you very much, your comments are appreciated.

Regards
    Ray Gunn