Thread: Bugei Old Pine Kat

Bugei Old Pine Kat

Hey, just wondering if anyone else has visited the Bugei site recently? I just noticed that the Old Pine Katana is now being made in the powdered steel rather than the new alloy. Does this also go for the other Hanwei blades in that steel, like the Bamboo Mat or the Lion Dog? I am just wondering if since the fire there have been problems with this new steel or if the problem is now just in making enough of these blades. Hope this post makes sense. Cheers
    My guess is that you are reading this in English on a computer of some sort and if that is the case I hate to be the one to tell you but you will never be a samurai nor a ninja, any more than you may apply to become a 12th century French Knight or an Emporer of China. Some jobs are simply no longer hiring.

Hadn't Bugei been using Swedish powdered steel right along? There was to be possibly news of Hanwei in April, as far as resuming production. Ask Blake Pogue of Hanwei/CAS and/or call Bugei.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen C. View Post
    Hadn't Bugei been using Swedish powdered steel right along?
    Yes, but I believe the Old Pine was originally marketed and sold as being made with hanwei's new high alloy steel. That seems to have changed.

I see but isn't the question posed is actually whether the new alloy has been affected across the board?

"Does this also go for the other Hanwei blades in that steel, like the Bamboo Mat or the Lion Dog?"

I'd hate to speculate from one block of ad copy. From the sword description it does appear to be the factory status that will affect production of the newer alloy blades but why speculate further without an overall announcement or clarification from the source?

Cheers

Hotspur; the rumor mill usually starts innocently enough but much can sometimes be blown way out of proportion

Sorry Glen, this was meant to be more of a question than speculation. I was simply wondering if anyone had heard anything, if there was a problem found with the type of steel or if it had simply been discontinued in the Old Pine alone. When Hanwei released these new alloy swords I was really interested and am near to getting the Bamboo Mat but this change has me concerned.
    My guess is that you are reading this in English on a computer of some sort and if that is the case I hate to be the one to tell you but you will never be a samurai nor a ninja, any more than you may apply to become a 12th century French Knight or an Emporer of China. Some jobs are simply no longer hiring.

The way the Old Pine ad copy reads, the steel issue is a production factor based on the fire. I am not sure how that could be construed that there is a problem with the newer alloys as far as function goes.

The Old Pine Katana was originally released using an unfolded, modern high alloy steel with a high tech heat treatment. However, while the prototypes were quite impressive, once it went in to production we found the factory was unable to deliver sufficient numbers in the quality we required. And then a devastating fire at the Hanwei forge forced Hanwei to re-evaluate whether to continue with the new steel.At that point we suspended sales of the Old Pine Katana until we could get some idea as to what we could expect from the factory.

We are pleased to announce that we will now be offering the Old Pine Katana again, but this time in our tried and tested powdered steel used in all of our sword lines for the last decade. This steel has been durable, reliable, and the factory was able to produce swords for us at the quality required in the past. So we are now offering the Old Pine for sale again, except now it will be with the steel as used in all our other swords. Please note that until we get in our first shipment the photographs will show the old steel type.

The ad copy seems to read to me pretty straight forward without any indication the new alloys have any performance or functional issues.

Cheers

Hotspur; Blake is registered here as well as other boards and has a Facebook you could ping him on

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/mem...?23057-B.Pogue

For me, its a total cop out.

I was literally ON THE CUSP of ordering one of these BECAUSE of the new alloy steel and the finishing / polishing / burnishing, which appeared to be superior to other standard issue bugei blades (Im the proud owner of a refitted 'samurai' but never really liked the frosted hamon or "white lines" hada). Now that I know the new model will be another humdrum swedish powered steel blade, im no longer interested.

Sorry bugei, you guys are really going to have to up your game a notch to stay ahead of the pack. Doesnt seem to have been happening much over the last few years...I know youre going to blame the economy and the market entry of a whole mess of "decent quality" chinatana makers that never existed 5 years ago - but come on...give us something tasty plz.
    The Mind Truely Is The Sharpest Blade And The Deadliest Weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kakashi View Post

I was literally ON THE CUSP of ordering one of these BECAUSE of the new alloy steel and the finishing / polishing / burnishing, which appeared to be superior to other standard issue bugei blades (Im the proud owner of a refitted 'samurai' but never really liked the frosted hamon or "white lines" hada). Now that I know the new model will be another humdrum swedish powered steel blade, im no longer interested.

Sorry bugei, you guys are really going to have to up your game a notch to stay ahead of the pack. Doesnt seem to have been happening much over the last few years...I know youre going to blame the economy and the market entry of a whole mess of "decent quality" chinatana makers that never existed 5 years ago - but come on...give us something tasty plz.
    Cop out? Are you serious? They're not magical wizards at Hanwei, they just had a fire that put a big strain on the company, if it weren't for the fire I'm sure we would see more of this steel type. Bugei has kept on doing what it's doing for many years due to the high level of quality products it offers that differ from the "humdrum" fare often seen now. What do expect them to do? Come out with lightsabers or something?

I'd buy a lightsaber in an Old Pine motif......

Im buying one this year Not a lightsabre but an Old Pine...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kakashi View Post

Bugei doesn't make their blades, Hanwei does, and what tells you the new steel and processes weren't the cause of the fire? Cop out? What if it's a safety issue man? Give them a break. For all we know, they could very well be working on a way to make these blades again but need to refine their processes.
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

In fact, if you read this post: http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...15#post1132515 you might also come to the same conclusion that they may have been smelting their new steel and had an accident.
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

There were problems with the magical mystery steel. A gentleman on a facebook group I'm part of commented that his Old Pine chipped cutting tatami and the sword was exchanged. I'm sure the fire didn't help matters, but so it goes.

Swedish / African () powdered steel is fine, I mean if you want to base your purchase on whatever steel was used that's as valid a reason as any. Just remember it is only part of the equation.
    Last edited by Jonathan Frances; 08-12-2012 at 09:22 PM.