Thread: British naval sword.

British naval sword.

I have been given a Royal Navy officers sword as a birthday present and would like to find out more about it if anyone could help.
    The details are.
    Makers mark- Moseley and Pounsford, 32 The Hard Portsmouth.
    Serial Number- 16182.
    Markings- Reverse side to makers mark is star of David Proof mark
    Royal Crest on one side of blade, Fouled anchor on other with scrolls on both sides.
    I would like to know the age of sword and if the firm made the sword or is it just made with their badge. do records exist for this maker?

Thank you.
    Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Here you are:-

MOSELEY & POUNSFORD LIMITED
    1920 to 2004

So your sword judging by the etched cost of arms (it appears to be a King's crown) could be anytime between 1920 and 1950

The number on the blade is NOT a Wilkinson number - 16162 would make it 1869!!!!!
    I have also looked at the etch plates and there is no etching for Moseley & Poundfoot.

What mark/letter is stamped inside the brass proof mark on the blade?
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by Robert Wilkinson-Latham; 04-18-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Robert.
    I don't know if this is of any use but I found my sword on Holts auctioneers site for 2010. My inexperience called the mark a proof mark when it is described as a Quality mark (I suppose I will learn eventually) as this is my first foray into swords. There is no proof slug just a Star of David mark.
    http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com...2837&saletype=.

Thanks Dave.
    Last edited by Dave Pye; 04-18-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Robert
    I've just acquired a sword with Crown of London and Queens' crowns on the blade but the proofmark says HW. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary H Turner View Post
    I've just acquired a sword with Crown of London and Queens' crowns on the blade but the proofmark says HW. Any ideas?
    Hi Gary,

The HW proof disk was Wilkinson's, and their name should also appear on the ricasso (flat bit close to guard). If there's a serial number on the back edge of the blade that can help date it. Photos are also good.

John
    "If I can't be a good example to others, at least let me be a horrible warning".

Quote Originally Posted by Gary H Turner View Post
    Robert
    What are you referring to Gary? The Corporation of London does not have (nor is it entitled to) a crown or coronet as part of its Coat of Arms

Which Crown do you mean by "Queens" The 1827 had a Georgian style crown for most of the period, changed to a "Tudor" style crown in 1901 and again to a representation of the St Edwards Crown in 1953.

John and David,

Hope this helps:
    The proof mark is "HW". There is no number on the back edge of the blade like a Wilkinson should have (I have one myself). The makers name is "Crown Swords England" (with a sign of a coronet crown with crossed swords behind). It has EIIR Crowns on the blade (female version if you like with a more rounded top). It also has a stamp for the "Queens Diamond Jubilee 1953-2012" on it. Slightly curved blade rather than straight and quite heavy.

I'll take some pictures to post later. Any help appreciated. It looks fairly new but the HW proof confused me......

Kind Regards,

Gary

I wonder if Crown Swords were an authorised reseller of a Wilkinson Jubilee commemorative piece? They have naval swords on their own website (which I won't link to here but is easily findable), as well as many other current regulation patterns. Could they even be refurbishing and re-etching older blades for modern use??

Interestingly, while they feature the Royal Warrant ("By Warrant") etching on their blades, I can't find them on the Royal Warrant Holders Association list of Warrant holders. Robert W-L might be able to tell us more (about the firm, I mean, not the warrant! ).

John
    "If I can't be a good example to others, at least let me be a horrible warning".

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wilkinson-Latham View Post
    Here you are:-

MOSELEY & POUNSFORD LIMITED
    1920 to 2004

So your sword judging by the etched cost of arms (it appears to be a King's crown) could be anytime between 1920 and 1950

The number on the blade is NOT a Wilkinson number - 16162 would make it 1869!!!!!
    I have also looked at the etch plates and there is no etching for Moseley & Poundfoot.

What mark/letter is stamped inside the brass proof mark on the blade?
    Hope this helps
    Robert, please see below. Can you help please? Gary