Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Katana Project

Katana Project

Dear Sword Forum

A while back I decided that I wanted a truly custom Katana. An heirloom piece that I could proudly display prominently in my home.

I soon discovered the options and price ranges swung from one end of the spectrum to the other. I decided upon a few things. The blade would need to constructed in a traditional manner, folded steel, to achieve the hada I was looking for. Of course a certain style and specific length were also important. I also needed to find a blade upon witch to model what I wanted and finally settled in on this:

I found two very talented artisans with help form the this forum: Bartosz Ulatowski http://www.daisho.pl/index7.php and Wojciech Kusnierz http://www.shirotatsu.eu I commissioned both, Bartosz to create a unique set of koshirae based on a floral motif that I had seen and example of in his previous work and Wojciech to forge the blade. Both have been fantastic, communicating with me on every step of the project, updating me with pictures as work progressed.

Things progressed slowly at first with some sketches from Bartosz:

Then some progressive pictures of the work in progress. Both fun an educational to see raw matterial come too life. I should mention that Bartosz has a great sgment on his website showing how his craft is done.

And of course the beautiful finished product:

The blade has progressed as well, from raw tamahagane:

To molten billet:

To sunobie:

To the rough shapping of the blade:

To the application of clay awaiting the quenching process:

beautiful work.

Dave
    Dave Drawdy
    "the artist formerly known as Sergeant Major"

looks good, can't wait to see it mounted!

Quote Originally Posted by GrantK View Post
    looks good, can't wait to see it mounted!
    Which brings me to my next round of decisions: Ito, Sageo and Saya.

These are my favorite threads on SFI, the whole process.

Grass is pale flat greens, that might be very dramatic looking. Or Grain, which is also grass sort of a pale flat gold or tan.

I love this sword already and it is not even done

Dave

I am very partial to the Koshirae of This tanto. For my own sword I would like a saya with the deep natural wood grain as pictured. I love the sort of rose colored sageo (just need to find a manufacturer now), silver habaki. Black or white saime?

Opinions?? Please.

Thumbs up

WOW.... The tsuba is amazing. Really dramatic with with the tight lines... same with the F/K. I agree with David... A grassy soft green for the would be so nice and not seen very often. Truly work to be proud of.

Dave and Aaron, you are both suggesting a soft green Ito and Sageo? Do you know of a manufacture who might supply such?

You could try Token Bijutsu Kogeisha, they have good variety of ito colors, http://www16.plala.or.jp/katana-iimu...2.english.html

Very nice project with 2 excellent craftsmen.
    Jussi Ekholm

This project is really cool. I am inspired to try something myself.

I've looked, but I have not found a green I find appealing for what has been suggested. I guess the next question is has anyone ever had custom silk Ito and Sageo made? Everything else about this blade is custom, so why not.

Well Fred Lohman has some ivy green tsunami-ito, and green & silver green silk. Tozando has uguisu silk and suede with both being different in color.

Here are some artificial silk sageo, are you looking for color like 4 or 17? http://www16.plala.or.jp/katana-iimu...ojinken-e.html

You can have custom sageo made or even try your hands on making one by yourself. I used to play with marudai when I was younger and did couple of fairly nice shigeuchi-style sageo, of course still far behind professional made. Try searching for kumihimo and marudai for examples that can be done, here is one good site: http://www.ee0r.com/kumihimo/

You could also buy white ito & sageo and try your hand on dyeing. I'm not skilled with handcrafts, so I can't give any tips on that.
    Jussi Ekholm

Hi Jussi

Thanks for the links. I think perhaps 4 and17 are a little flat olive drab. Maybe something a little paler and brighter? I just don't see it yet. I'm going to search for some antique koshirae and see if I find something that pops out to me.

Very nice so far, congrats.

Now the Blade has been tempered, the next step is polishing.

http://s1169.photobucket.com/albums/...aTempering.mp4

That's really nice that he took a video for you, project looks like its coming along very nice

Quote Originally Posted by GrantK View Post
    That's really nice that he took a video for you, project looks like its coming along very nice
    Hi Grant, It goes beyond that. I asked Wojciech if he could make a video of the hardening process, not expecting to get a yes out of that request. He went out and bought a camera just so he could film it. Like I said before both Wojciech and Bartosz have been incredible through this whole project. Really above and beyond!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast