Thread: Blade makers marks or symbols

Blade makers marks or symbols

Greetings all,
    Is there a book available which shows the different marks and symbols as well as names of dealers and makers as found on different sword blades, made in the US and Germany, and what periods these marks were used.
    I see references to different trade mark or makers marks, but very few actually show the mark itself, and when they do, it is just a photo, which most of the time does not show the detail well.
    I have a Militia, or Fraternal sword which has the Knights head mark on the blade (shown in photo), I also have an M1840 Heavy Cavalry Saber that looks to have the same mark, but the mark is partially below the leather blade washer, and I do not want to damage it by trying to move it. I can only see the top of the mark, and it looks like it is the same as the Knights Head mark as in the photo.
    Can some one tell me the blade or sword maker who used this mark, and in about what period?
    Any help will be appreciated,
    Roy
    Attached Images Attached Images   

W.R. Kirschbaum, 1876-1883 at which point they merged with Gebr. Weyersburg and their logo was then a kings head and the helmet with W.K.C. underneath.
    "Ancora imparo - Michelangelo Buonarotti"

The Kirschbaum trademark of the knight's bust/helmet was first recorded in 1854. The family was more an agent for sales rather than a maker, per se. True also of S&K and several others.

The Richard Bezdek books for American and a separate German makers/agents/retailer marks and names are considered the best compilation of information. Bezdek's first American volume is out of print at this point.

The Angelfire link posted above is Mike McWatters work and a nice assembly of information. Mike posts here from time to time.
    www.oldswords.com is worth subscribing to as well for dates names and markings examples.

Cheers

Hotspur; Solingen is an interesting study with a lot yet to uncover but the big falmily names such as Weyersburg and Kirscbaum can be found through searches in a fairly ope book of history.
    Last edited by Glen C.; 05-04-2012 at 08:51 AM.

Thanks all,
    Glen, the 1854 date fits in with the M1840 Cavalry saber with the Knights Head mark, as it has "57" stamped into the scabbard drag, and my S&K M1840 Light Horse Artillery Saber has "48" Stamped into the blade spine as well as the scabbard drag. I see that C.R. Kirchbaum used the Kights Head from 1854 to 1869, so I can possibly assume my Militia sword with the US Shield on the hilt can also date to some time in that time period.
    I would love to see someone do the research and publish a book with all the makers, and dealers symbols and trade marks as well as names used, done in a line type drawings, as well as photos, with known dates of their use. This would be a great research book, and I am sure would sell well, as most research books do. I am trying to expand my sword research book library, but so far I am only up to nine. I printed out the lists that were noted in another thread, and although I have a large library on Military History and weapons, I do not think I will ever hold a candle in the sword department that some of you have.
    I have more questions about some of my other swords and as time goes on I will start new threads, in the meantime, Thank you for all your help,
    Roy