Thread: a news storyl with video of the '9 best sword fights in film'

a news storyl with video of the '9 best sword fights in film'

Clearly, their definition of best is "most entertaining" rather than "most accurate." And notice how none of the great old swashbuckling movies make it despite some great swordfights that can still have you on the edge of your seat holding your breath.
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer."--Gen. George S. Patton

ok, some of those fights were good. Although I think they were going for best scenes with sword fights. Also, I think that Blade fight would be better if Blades opponent dodged the sword attacks and blocked the kicks with his sword.

I can't believe anyone would be utterly clueless enough to put Rob Roy scene(a masterpiece swordfight scene and for many, one of the best) in 9th place, below Matrix, Blade and James Bond scenes! Oh the horror!...
    "The relationship between West(Occident) and East(Orient) is indeed an example of a relationship of power and domination. Orientalism is thus a style of thought based upon an ontological and epistemological distinction made between the Orient and the Occident. It is a Western style of dominating, restructuring and building hegemony over the Orient.İt is an accepted grid for filtering through the Orient into Western consciousness, into the general culture."
    From "Orientalism" by Edward Said

This reminds me that I need to find a copy of "The Deluge" after seeing a youtube clip of a fight scene from it. There's something about that fight that really stands out to me.

Older sword fights just appeal more to me these days. With all the frenetic action we get in contemporary films, it seems like any sense of tension has been defenestrated.

yeah, a lot of film makers try to add a lot of action, violence and movement, but it only serves to devalue it. Especially when the hero is suppose to be opposed to violence, but ends up killing scores of nameless goons, only to regret killing the antagonist. Movies with only one or two duels make those duels more compelling. I think though the tone of the movie matters. Adventures tones in swashbucklers better suit their constant action, as opposed to the more recent movies that aim for constant tension and action.

as they say, 'That's entertainment', I for one think the scene from Blade does not qualify as a sword fight.

I posted this mostly for the fun of the scenes.

I found the scene from Bond interesting in that several different styles and swords were used.

Indiana Jones as #1? Really? It's funny. Don't bring a sword to a gun fight.

The Kill Bill and Princess Bride fights do rock!

meh, most of the people that write news probably only understand 'pointy end goes in to the other person' and have no idea what a sword can really do or how to use one.

I'll agree with that.

I am surprised at the list. Some of the sword fights in The Pirates of The Carebian series were pretty good. While I love Star Wars and it is probably the biggest reason I got into swords in the first place, I don't know if they would be considered sword fights in the truest sense, the matrix included, because people just can't move that way. Not that the flips and acrobatics in The Princes Bride were realistic, but the foot work and pace was great. If anything goes, what about Croching Tiger Hidden Dragon? How about the Kurosawa samurai movies?

We should come up with a grounded list of the best "realistic sword fights on film".

I don't think much of that list, but do think that the Rob Roy and Princess Bride scenes belong on it. Nothing from The Duellists? How about the sword fight from the movie Tom Jones? http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/2...ord-Fight.html (sorry about the 30 second commercial before it starts)
    Last edited by Roger Hooper; 05-08-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes, it's not so much the 'fight', it's the way the fight is delivered.

Cyrano
    mark@swordforum.com

~ Hostem Hastarum Cuspidibus Salutemus ~

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
    Benjamin Franklin

Bah! Lightsabers don't count!
    I'm lost---- I've gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

I work for Keyser Söze.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hooper View Post
    I don't think much of that list, but do think that the Rob Roy and Princess Bride scenes belong on it. Nothing from The Duellists? How about the sword fight from the movie Tom Jones? http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/2...ord-Fight.html (sorry about the 30 second commercial before it starts)
    Hah! Somebody else likes that "Tom Jones" fight: Two guys in a back alley who aren't very expert with swords but are really pissed off and out for each other's blood. They weren't all master swordsmen in the old days.

What nothing from the 1973 Three Musketeers staring Oliver Reed, Raquel Welch, Richard Chamberlain, Michael York., Christopher Lee, Charlton Heston, Faye Dunaway... made the more recent Disney version look puerile! Also uses a very active and brutal sword combat style.
    Thomas Powers
    CoFounder of the Intergalactic Union of Bladesmiths
    "when you forge upon a star"---you better have your union card handy!

Arthur vs The Black Knight???

Quote Originally Posted by S Fryar View Post
    Arthur vs The Black Knight???
    Depends on your reference.