Thread: WTB: My first authentic - Japanese Katana

WTB: My first authentic - Japanese Katana

I have posted this in two places Antique and regular classifieds - as response may come from either side of the fence.

After many years of utilizing well-made practical Katana, I find myself wanting to take that next step and delve into the world of real Japanese swords. This is something I have wanted for some time, but have (for various reasons) not taken the plunge.

I am not necessarily after the “grail “per say. This does not need to be a piece that one would find in an auction house, NBTHK or NTHK, nor does it need to be from a famous smith. I do not however want it to be in such bad shape that it is unsalvageable, nor do I want anything to modern. (Some WWII may be alright, depending on condition and mountings) What I am after is something that when I look at it and eventually get it in my hand feels correct…..if that makes sense. If it needs some level of work, I may very well be interested, so please do not hesitate on that front.

In terms of price, I am not limiting myself, but will do a bit of research to make sure I am getting a square deal. That said all offers will certainly be considered.

As this is my first volley into this particular endeavor, I appreciate all offers and advice. My luck in dealing with individuals here has been very good thus far, and I trust this will be no different.

Thanks very much!
    Beauty is only skin deep...but ugly goes all the way to the bone.

if you want to make an entree into the world of nihonto, you should invest in some good books and study a bit first. a lot of good information can also be found on the internet, as well as within this forum:

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/index...2766228fd9982f

after you've done this, you should begin to get a sense of what the defining characteristics of different school are, what you like, and what you can afford to own.

then drive up to san francisco this august (and every year) to attend the token kai. you'll have no better chance to get reasonable advice from collectors, handle a wide variety of blades ranging from bad to great, and to find something you like. while you're at it, join the NCJSC:

http://www.ncjsc.org/SF_token_kai.htm

think carefully about getting a blade that "needs work." most within the nihonto world would highly recommend having that work done by a polisher trained to work on nihonto (it's of paramount importance that the polisher be able to identify the blade and know how it should be polished accordingly), and that kind of work can easily cost more than the blade. a lot of the good blades aren't necessarily going to come with fittings -- ditto cost issues there.

also, it goes without saying, but most collectible nihonto shouldn't really be used for martial arts practice (and especially not for non-martial arts practice). if the quality is low enough to be used for iaido, you could argue the quality isn't worth owning, but that all depends a bit on what your intentions are.

in the meantime, here are some dealer sites you might want to check out to see what's out there...

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...ighlight=links

Joe - thanks for the solid advice. I have in fact been reading - studying for awhile, but as most will attest.....theres a lot to learn, but the road is fun to walk.
    Beauty is only skin deep...but ugly goes all the way to the bone.

Sent a PM selling a few blades.

bill