Thread: FS: James Raw O Kissaki blade with habaki - on the US

FS: James Raw O Kissaki blade with habaki - on the US

28.5" blade and a nakago for a 11" handle.
    O Kissaki, beefy blade

Cons:

- a minor chip to kissaki
    - habaki has no machigane

Price is $900 shipped to the US (it´s already there).

Pics to follow

The tip is bent to be more precise. Very minor acording to J.S. Hill - who´s holding it for me. I plan to sell it as is.

Friendly Weekend Bump!

Hello,
    Pictures would be nice...
    With a close up of the bent tip would be useful too.
    Thanks,
    Fab

I will post some photos later today.

Photos

Here are some photos of the blade as received from James Raw.

Name:  DSC00587.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  97.7 KB

Name:  DSC00580.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  103.2 KB

Name:  DSC00574.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  97.8 KB

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/a...saki%20Katana/

Blade was not packaged as well as it should have been for a journey from South Africa. The post was also negligent in handling it gently, but did not damage the box, so no claims could be made. Only bit of damage was the very tip, as can be seen in the photos. It is actually a good testament to the heat-treatment of this sword--had it not been properly tempered, it would have chipped off rather than bending.

Name:  DSC00564.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  99.4 KB

Sword is robust, sharp, and has very decent balance. Polish is serviceable and durable. Simple copper habaki is included, however this habaki will need a machi-gane added to be serviceable (or a new habaki made properly). As-is, the habaki would be fine for shirasaya.

I have the blade in my possession here in the US. Rubem is offering it for a very good price. It will make a really fun user / training sword for someone. Beats the heck out of a production sword any day and will cost less than some higher-end production swords even if you pay to have it mounted.

The tip could be easily repaired in just a few minutes on the stones. However it will need a cosmetic touch-up to blend it with the rest of the kissaki's finish-polish. Correction cost of the kissaki is NOT included in Rubem's sale price. He wishes to sell it AS-IS.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Shannon

More pics!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Sword is very nice in person. Photos are pretty good, but don't do the blade complete justice.

Bump!

can either of you explain what's going on with the "double" or even "triple" hamon?

Simplest answer is, "I don't know." I don't want to do exploratory stone work that might ruin a perfectly serviceable cutting polish and Rubem doesn't want me to add to the cost of the sword.

My experience leads me to believe this is NOT nijuba or sanjuba, rather a very billowy habuchi that thickens in some places and thins, with nioi falling like a crest on a waterfall in some places. It is definitely a hallmark of EN45 and all steels with a higher-hardenability when they are clay coated and differentially hardened. Some spots get really hard, some less, and then the "nether-tween" often looks like this. Suffice to say that a professional polish would probably make the sword look different, but also probably reveal some other neat stuff.

This is a cool, tough sword. It should be mounted and cut with. It is ALREADY in the US and available IMMEDIATELY. Anyone looking for a nice, wide mihaba/o-kissaki/muromachi-influenced sword for training and cutting would not go wrong buying this sword to mount and use.

Shannon

This blade is now sold. Thanks to everyone that looked and considered.

Shannon

Just got the sword in Saturday and it looks great! I want to thank Rubem and Shannon for a transaction that went off without a hitch. I had Shannon fix the kissaki and polish the blade and it looks fantastic. It definitely exceeded my expectations.