Thread: Rex’s Lucky streak 3 Georgian swords (1)

Rex’s Lucky streak 3 Georgian swords (1)

Hi Guys

Rex attended an auction in Melbourne where he caught up with a dealer friend of ours who had recently purchased a large Militaria collection. Rex was then offered three Georgian Ivory hilted swords and three naval dirks which he naturally grabbed. Things never turn up one at a time, it’s all or nothing.

This is the first of the three swords involved in the boot sale, and whilst discussing it with friends the other evening one of our guest’s found a stamp I had missed on the underside of the guard that appears to be the letters FT, and we have confirmed the sword is by Francis Thurkle.

The sword is a Georgian British Infantry Officers Sword with 2 bar hilt, circa 1783-1801.
    Overall Length: 89.5 cm in scabbard, 89cm sword only
    Blade length: 76 cm
    Blade widest point: 3.6 cm
    Hilt widest point: 10.5 cm
    Inside grip length: 9.5 cm

Marks, etc.: Blue and gilt decoration that includes scroll work and what appears to be some sort of monster, much like an ant eater. Stamped into the gilt on the underside of the guard is the letters F T

General Description: Gilt brass hilt formed of a stirrup-shaped knuckle guard, a pair of scrolling frontal bars and a plain backstrap rising to a flat topped pommel with pronounced ball tang. Loop at top of guard and reeded ivory grip. Diamond motif in cartouche to Curved side guard. Curved blade with blue and gilt decoration that includes scroll work and what appears to be some sort of monster, much like an ant eater and the letters FT stamped into the underside of the guard. Black leather scabbard, brass mounts, frog and two suspension mounts.

Francis Thurkle 1766-1801, Southwick says that he entered his mark FT with a pellet between in the Smallworkers Book at Goldsmith's Hall in 1783.

The general feeling is that the monster on the blade is supposed to be a dragon done by an etcher who had one to many to drink. Still looks more like an ant eater to me.

Cheers Cathey and Rex
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Is the blade by Runkel? I ask because I've seen several of his blades with a similar dragon.
    Nice sword; thanks for posting it!
    --ElJay

Hi Ejay, no sadly the blade is not marked runkel, however it has that look about it. Honestly until our friend found the TF (which I am embarrassed to admit I missed) I was not even sure it was English.

Cheers Cathey