Thread: Question on selling knives/swords and ice in quench tank?

Question Question on selling knives/swords and ice in quench tank?

Well I was asked an odd question by one of my friends about a movie. I admit I didn't have an answer. In the movie conan (the new one) They quenched a sword in an bath of what they said was water and ice. Their question was, why and what does that do? I've absolutely never heard of such a thing....and I've heard of some strange things for quenching which I won't go into.

My other question comes from talking about swords and knife sales with a guy I been selling my knives to. He said he sells them to someone in the neatherlands and makes a great profit. Something about a price difference if your willing to sell and ship abroad. He's not really buying a lot of my knives, probably cause I'm an amature, but if I could move more knives that be nice.

That's not nearly as baffling to me as the fact that they poured a sword into a 'sword mold' to make it. It's all just whatever the writer thought would make cool images, and has no basis in reality.
    Paul Smith
    "Keep the sharp side and the
    pointy end between you and
    your opponent"

That's what I thought, the pouring into a mold bit..however they were quick to point out, after they poured it that it was hammered....eh either way it was a question I was clueless to answer thanks, paul for the assurance.

If your alloy is low in carbon---not really suitable to make a sword from an icewater quench may get a bit more hardness from it *if* you are really really fast getting it from the forge into the quench.

If you use an appropriate alloy an icewater quench warps and shatters the blade so you can start all over again!

Note that steel wasn't melted until the 1700's in western Europe and the places like central Asia where they did melt steel from an early time they formed "pucks" that were then laboriously hammered out.

So basically all the reality of Thor...
    Thomas Powers
    CoFounder of the Intergalactic Union of Bladesmiths
    "when you forge upon a star"---you better have your union card handy!

conan is Hollywood.

However
    cryro tempering does have a few interesting outcomes. Ice water is not going to do cryo though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryogenic_hardening
    http://www.cryopro.com/
    http://www.300below.com/

Well thanks for the answers for the hollywood fan. If only I can figure out the neatherlands one.

Don't think cryogenics will help any early sword alloys though as it's best on high alloy items with substantial retained austenite.
    Thomas Powers
    CoFounder of the Intergalactic Union of Bladesmiths
    "when you forge upon a star"---you better have your union card handy!