Thread: Heron's Flight - Warders' Heron Mark Sword

Heron's Flight - Warders' Heron Mark Sword

Hi Folks.
    This is the brain seed of an SBG Forumite (Kevin - don't know if he's here...), discussed and translated and redesigned through me to create this final piece.

I've never done one quite like this, though his commission "Morrigan's Talon" was not dissimilar in some ways. But a double edged sabre with a 36" blade - I must admit that at first I didn't know how this would go. He wanted 2+" blade breadths at the spur, and so forth, so it was going to be a massive sword. Add a complex guard and at first I thought this would be a heavy clunker. However through the creation process I soon learned this was going to be a lively little sucker and handle like a perfect great sword of war. Final Weight is only 3lb 3oz - lighter than many single handers, and with a 6" POB - the blows will be fast but powerful, while easily controlled with 10" of grippable space - more if one fingers the blade through the ring. The curved 'zero ground' edge we know will slice like the Iron Chef gone kamikaze.

I haven't cut with it, just dry handling. It's nice.

Please enjoy the detail photos and complete specs here: http://www.fableblades.com/HeronsFlight.html
    I haven't got the story from Kevin yet. I'll leave that for him, as he's known this sword for something like 20 years.

Cheers

Wow
    this is nothing like i pictured the blades and MUCH MUCH better. I had that sort of westernized katana thing going on in my mind This is just remarkable. I particular I like the extra detail on the pommel and guard.

Really well executed over all and truly an example of art joins with function

Thanks David I personally haven't hit these books yet so I approached it from a blank canvas, and it was a typical job of interpreting and understanding the client's vision, who's been reading the books for over 20 years.

Very well executed! I'm a big fan of the book series this was based off of...I couldn't have pictured it otherwise.

Now to see if I can sneak one past my wife

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan O. View Post
    Hi Folks.
    But a double edged sabre with a 36" blade - I must admit that at first I didn't know how this would go. He wanted 2+" blade breadths at the spur, and so forth, so it was going to be a massive sword. Add a complex guard and at first I thought this would be a heavy clunker. However through the creation process I soon learned this was going to be a lively little sucker and handle like a perfect great sword of war. Final Weight is only 3lb 3oz -
    That's about the weight of my 31" Shinken with no stock removal so similar overall.

Nice work
    Bartender and Brewmeister for the Pub

Stranger in a Strange land

It's been a while since I've been on these forums.. and man, I realize I miss seeing your blades Brendan! Gorgeous work!!

Blog Entries
    Anyone seen that movie "John Carter" ? This sword would have been perfect for a Barsoomian warrior. Great work/art!
    "Ah, the old disco room.......just as I left it!" Cassanova Frankenstein

"It's all about having a good time!" Ricky Martin

"We are number one....all others are number two or lower!" The Sphinx

"Let me put my poems in you!" Chazz Micheal Micheals

www.odinblades.com