Thread: New guy needs help ID'ing Manufacturer

New guy needs help ID'ing Manufacturer

Picked up this Knights of Pythias Fraternal sword for $25 at an antiques store. Would like to identify manufacturer. Only marks I can find are "Made in Germany" under the hilt on the Ricasso and what looks like a crawling bear on the Ricasso (see photo). The blade has "Danvers Lodge 157", which was a Pythias lodge in the local community of Danvers from about 1905 to ?. The lodge no longer exists.

Name:  IMG-20120715-01549.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  95.9 KB

Name:  IMG-20120715-01545.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  61.3 KB

Name:  Wenham-20120715-01547.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  96.1 KB
    Last edited by M Foster; 07-15-2012 at 03:58 PM.

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?98865-The-Walking-Bear-Sword-Mark

The
    mark is generally regarded to be of Abraham Kuller, listed in books from 1847-1880. However, the mark seems to turn up on swords clearly later than that.

It is entirely possible blades were in store and assembled after his known operation because the use of MADE IN GERMANY points to later years in the 1880s. It is commonly found with the M.C.Lilley & Co. etching and that also post dates 1880.

I have a musician type sword in a metal scabbard that has this same walking bear mark, also marked MADE IN GERMANY.

Chances are the lodge had a large group buy and for whatever reason there was no retailer etching on th blade. The absolutes about that, pretty much impossible to unravel. if there is an owner's name etched on the blade, diligent research may turn up an exacting date.

Cheers

Hotspur; one suggestion has been Lauterjung & Co , a walking tiger but this doesn't seem to gel either
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Glen C.; 07-15-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Just now going through another book and there is an exacting match to the Roby Manufacturer Co. They were in Chelmsford, so Danvers is just down the road a piece. According to that text, the Roby Manufacturing Co. ceased sword operations in 1875, so you may well have an earlier Pythias sword. Also noted that the Uniform Rank markings on Pythias swords were all after 1884.

It may still have been sold through another company but Roby is likely responsible for the source but we are still left with the Made In Germany trade use. I have yet to see a definitive earliest use of it.

Cheers

Hotspur; Roby Used a lot of German blades and alos imported entire swords

Thanks for the lead on the Walking Bear and Roby in Chelmsford!

This 'critter' is a mark is used on post 1890 swords made by Weyersburg, Kirshbaum Cie. Likely imported by M.C. Lilley Co.

Aha, I think you knocked me on the head about that in the past too I may be all clear in my head now if the extra doesn't push that out again.