Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Legal? Ethical? Auction house manipulation

lets all do this and it will be ok then

michael
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi guys

I have been following this thread with interest and we seem to be getting side tracked. The only question is why we can’t openly discuss items put up for sale on the internet, regardless of the source. If we are serious about being an educational site for those interested in Antique swords then we should be prepared to comment on swords offered publicly for sale on the World Wide Web.

I cannot reconcile being more than happy to advise someone that their new acquisition may well be a dud, rather than offering advice and opinions that might save someone’s hard earned dollars. As I said previously other items offered for sale on the internet are routinely reviewed and criticized, what makes sword dealers and/or auction houses sacrosanct.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing."

Cheers Cathey and Rex

Quote Originally Posted by Cathey Brimage View Post
    Hi guys

I have been following this thread with interest and we seem to be getting side tracked. The only question is why we can’t openly discuss items put up for sale on the internet, regardless of the source. If we are serious about being an educational site for those interested in Antique swords then we should be prepared to comment on swords offered publicly for sale on the World Wide Web.

I cannot reconcile being more than happy to advise someone that their new acquisition may well be a dud, rather than offering advice and opinions that might save someone’s hard earned dollars. As I said previously other items offered for sale on the internet are routinely reviewed and criticized, what makes sword dealers and/or auction houses sacrosanct.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing."

Cheers Cathey and Rex
    I agree absolutely and whole heartedly.

Simon

And yet, SFI is not the only sword/weapons venue that discourages the discussion of ongoing sales. It is a mixed bag really, so why blame any venue for all the ills of the world?

There is a big difference between doing nothing and keeping in touch as some might. Then also, pouting because one site or another is not what one wants it to be. With both the administrator and legal checking into this thread, flogging a dead horse is not how I would rather not spend my time. I'd post up a list of alternative venues but you may be disappointed that they don't allow current sale discussion either. However, there has bee a fair amount of it here without naming names or specifics. My own frustrations here are what may appear as double standards at times. Despite that, still a superior site to learn from and share (sharing instead of complaining how a board runs).

Cheers

Hotspur; even the most liberal boards I have visited do have some guidelines

How about we don't talk about or mention the auction house or company selling the sword and simply talk about the sword in question?
    David Gray

Thought I'd barge in here for a few, as this is a subject near and dear to my heart. It's a very important conversation, and one that needs to be aired out every so often. While I'm new here, I've been collecting military antiques for very nearly 50 years now, and have been active on a number of British firearms boards for 15 or so.

Introductions out of the way...I'd like to opine that every comment I've read here has some merit, and most of the points I'd make have been well covered, but I'll throw a few out there anyway. Delving into the subject of fakes and the people who produce, sell, or auction them is, as this thread illustrates, a very tricky business...Who gets to be the expert? What happens when two recognized experts disagree? How do we keep too much critical info from getting passed on to the fakers? And so on...

Afghanistan provides a very instructive model...anyone who's been keeping an eye on that region has watched the fakes go from laughable to very nearly indistinguishable from legit pieces in just two or three years. I could probably dig up and point to a few of the online discussions that helped fuel that rapid increase in quality. In addition...I don't know too many antique collectors of any stripe that are all that eager to throw their favorite and most productive sources out there to the general public, and I'll hazard a guess that most auction bidders would prefer a smaller rather than larger pool of competing bidders for the object of their present fancy.

This forum seems to do a great job of sharing knowledge as it is, and a prohibition on publicly posting specifics of live auctions is very nearly universal from what I've seen, but there are options...feedback subforums, for example. The blog idea is a great one. What's certain in all of this is that there isn't a one size fits all solution.

There will never be any substitute for a big reference library and lots of hands on experience. And for anyone not interested in modern repros, I'd advise that they get interested. Most are factory made, and as such will have a well defined set of characteristics that even a very skilled faker won't be able to age away. If I had the money, I'd have as big a library of reproduction militaria as I do books.

All in all, a good in-depth public discussion of a sword in question, with any commentary on the vendor kept to PMs seems the policy that best covers it to me too. As for warning off potential victims...in my experience, it's unfortunately way more common for the first look at someone's object to be under the heading of "Look what I've just bought" rather than "Look what I'm thinking of buying".

Here we go again...

...My favorite auction house just added to the list of people conned by adding another poor sucker. Whoever it is now owns a beautiful $650 piece of junk....
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234