Thread: The Japan, USN, USMC mystery sword

The Japan, USN, USMC mystery sword

I think this Japan Sword Co. assembly is another attempt to create an 'budget' US Naval cadet sword. What is not budget is the fish-skin grip. The scabbard mounting are the traditional USMC officer type, without the flower on the drag. Note the number on the blade; it seems to be a US Army serial number.
    There is an 'X' scratched on the scabbard mountings, so at least 10 were made.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by T. Graham; 09-09-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    If memory serves, Japan Sword was a circa 1960s cutlery company that served the US Military stationed in Japan. Aside from the standard fare stuff, they produced some 5th Special Forces knives during Vietnam. Might be worth checking M. H. Cole's book for background...
    mark@swordforum.com

~ Hostem Hastarum Cuspidibus Salutemus ~

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
    Benjamin Franklin

Thanks, I will.

The Japan Sword Company sold swords of all sorts. I have an old Samurai Sword a friend of mine bought from them in the late 50s. It was made in about 1830, but was a Forgery with a Masters name on it. An expert Japanese sword collector told me that making swords with Masters names on them was not uncommon, but the swords were far from the quality of the swords made by the Masters themselves. He said mine dated to about 1830. This friend of mine who I got it from, was living in Japan during the late 50s while he was a teen ager living with his father who was a Lt Col. in the Air Force. When I got the sword it still had a Japan Sword Company card with it.
    Roy