Thread: Got this sword from Estate near Hannover, any ideas on date?

Got this sword from Estate near Hannover, any ideas on date?

Was lucky enough to come across this sword. I know German swords from the 20th century and this does Not fit my knowledge area at all...Any information would be amazing.
    Thanks Again

Anthony

Longmeadow, Massachusetts
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Carl Kaiser & Companie Solingen. Thought to have worked only between 1875 - 1896.

Mel.

Lightbulb Infantrie Offiziere Degen a/A..

Anthony: Kingdom of Prussia, Infantry Officers' Degen, 1818 to 1888. This one is missing the silver wire wrap on the grip. Replaced in 1889 by the Infantry Officers Degen Mod. 89. Along with the new Sword, they adopted a new sword knot with a leather strap. Your sword has the correct old model knot, with woven metallic cloth strap..

Dale

! Thank you Very Much Dale ! This the first non WW2 item I've ever purchased, and I just couldn't let it get stuck in Europe any longer. Took 2 Months to get through customs at Frankfurt lol. Anyway all worth it in the end I hope. I know you guys don't value items here but since its SOO far out of the area I normally collect...finding it a new home with a dedicated collector seems the best thing to do. Dale I Really appreciate this kind of knowledge...Awesome eye for the way the handle was, it was driving me Nuts NOTHING was similar online that I could find. Thought the Knot alone was worth the price I paid, It looked older than ANY other one ive seen. It seems like if it was clean it would be shiny and Gold, Almost looks like real gold under dirt. Im assuming this is to reference the rank of the owner, similar to their WW2 purpose.

The sheath was sitting in a seperate cabinet of misc items right next to a cased original ww2 german pilots badge...When it arrived back in Massachusetts it had the sheath included but the bottom was frayed apart revealing the blade (tip still included, can deffinetly be repaired or left just like it is)...the top 75% of it is in perfect shape though, . I have Never seen a sword case that old before it looks like animal hide and wood and brass.

Lightbulb Grip wrap and general features....

Signore Cocchi: I lived in CT for a long time, so I had to learn some Italiano or else!!! Your weapon should be an "Extra Purchase" item, bought by a Prussian Officer before 1896. The usual finish was gold over brass or bronze. Be very careful cleaning this finish. Do not use ammonia or brasso or any other abrasive or harsh cleaning methods. Even Flitz will remove this finish, so use caution....The finial or end cap will unscrew from the tang of the blade, but after a century +, you will have to wrap it in leather and carefully remove it with some force, this may not work easily as there is sometimes bi-metallic corrosion on the iron tang and the brass cap...

We do not give values here, as you have noted, so search the web for recent sales, I saw at least 3 on Flea-Pay recently...

Here are some shots of a real issue dated and marked example of this "Stichdegen" Old Model. This one is dated (18)87, just about as late as one finds for this model of sword...I will make a shot of the actual grip and the weird manner in which the wire is wrapped, they used a truely archaic method, and if I could find dead soft silver wire, or dead soft base metal wire silver plated, I could fix these grips easily!!

The scabbards were leather, sometime with a wood inner liner, and brass gold finished fittings...

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 09-15-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: add

Molte Grazie! Hey, How U Doin? lol As far as cleaning I dont really want to touch it...I am VERY happy to know that the wire can be replaced...I mean with a sword knot and everything it Deserves to be fixed up! Now comes looking for a new home, I better quick or I'm going to end up keeping this awesome piece of history for myself. If every dime wasn't going toward a VW with 40mpg I'd send it away to get fixed up and keep it. What I love the most is how solid it is after all these years, talk about excellent craftsmanship.

Thanks for the pics too Now I understand why my sword has a wood handle and what it looked like slash will look like once it finds a new home.

Ciao!
    Anthony
    Longmeadow, MA

Ciao! Anthony... OK, if you look at the handle, usually there is a "track" from the wire in the wood grip, they used hoof or fish glue to hold the wrap...(Both are archaic prodcucts today!!) Rewrapping would require disassembly to do it right, as the wire is insterted into the wood grip piece and held with a little peg at both ends, under the brass end cap and the ring on the front...This is not easy, but re-wrapping is not that big a deal to those who have a clue as to the method...

Ciao!!

Dale