Thread: Runic Spellings

Question Runic Spellings

Firstly, sorry if this is the wrong place for this question - don't want to annoy the mods! I've just bought a Hanwei Tinker Viking sword, the one loosely based on one found in Trondheim (and I love it!). I'm looking to customise the scabbard by engraving a sword name on it. My problem is that from the research I've done, the younger futhark should be used, but I want to use the word Vargr for wolf. The younger futhark doesn't have a V though. Can anyone help?
    Thanks all!

Fehu or Uruz couldn't work? I prefer Fehu, but I've also used Uruz in the past. German writes V but pronounces F, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Marshall View Post
    I'm looking to customise the scabbard by engraving a sword name on it. My problem is that from the research I've done, the younger futhark should be used, but I want to use the word Vargr for wolf. The younger futhark doesn't have a V though. Can anyone help?
    Thanks all!
    You could always use the Anglo-Saxon futhorc, as there are plenty of viking swords found in England and we have more than enough letters
    we see daily many principall and cunning men even at their wits end in studying and devising skill and cunning in all arts and science, and yet to the end of their lives they find themselves ignorant in many things, and are still to learne, yea even in that which they have alwayes bin trained up unto.

Joseph Swetnam

Thanks for the replies! Both look like good ideas. Been reading Egils saga, so it looks like Nowrgian Vikings did come to England... Hadn't come across the alternative words for wolf, so thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks to your help, I've got the Runes I want, but would like to trouble you experts for more info! It seems the scabbard that came with the sword is anachronistic, as it has steel bands to hold the loops to suspend it from a belt. Is it a problem? Hope not, as I can't afford a scabbard at the moment! When attaching to a belt, would metal D rings be appropriate to attaching to a hanger, or would strips of thinner leather be more 'in keeping' ? (also slightly worried about the black leather, everyone else seems to use natural)

Sorry if these are dumb questions!