Thread: Opinion needed on a Hosokawa mon tsuba with Christian cross

Opinion needed on a Hosokawa mon tsuba with Christian cross

Hi Guys,

I have just become a new member, and am slowly taking an interest in Japanese tsuba. I have the opportunity to buy the following kakure kirishitan (hidden Christianity) tsuba, but feel that it could be a modern copy, modified to look old, as the edges of the cutouts seem unusually sharp. Would love to get an expert opinion. Thanking you in advance.

All the best,

Louis
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello Louis,I am not by any means an expert on tsuba and fittings but I have seen plenty and agree with you entirely about the 'sharpness' of the design in this,I've looked at lots of tsuba recently on a well known international internet auction site and have thought the same about many tsuba appearing there even though the patina often looks quite good.I don't think you need any help on this,you have a good eye and you obviously don't feel 100% happy with it so really not a tough decision is it?Better to keep the money until something you really fall in love with comes along.

Thanks Chris, I just let it go, and it has been sold already, I found out later that the seller did not have the best reputation, not sure how they are being made, either by drilling, sawing, and filing, or they are laser cut. This is another tsuba, that was sold in Japan quite recently, seems to be the same format, well, I guess if you have a winning recipe, you stick with it.
    All the best,
    Louis
    Attached Images Attached Images