Thread: Shipment of swords from EU to USA

Shipment of swords from EU to USA

Hi all, I need to ship a sword to my friend leaving in LA, US. Got big problem to find the reasonable price offer. Most of countries introduced ca. 2 months ago new law prohibiting sending edged weapons by mail, so EMS refused. Do you have any experience or can help, please? Sorry, I have no idea which category should I post it in, if not right one, please move. I couldn't find similar post, so I list the question.

You do not mention where you live, or where you wish to send the sword from. Much of Europe is serviced by UPS, (United Parcel Service) which is based in the US. You may be able to contact them, or Fed Ex.
    Roy

Most of the courier services operating in the U.K. have a bar on 'dangerous weapons' which can make life a little difficult.
    Mel.

I've posted about ten items to the USA in the last few months listed as antiques and had no problems at all.

I have also send to the US from the UK, no problems bar the price. michael

Hi there Matt & Michael, did you use one of the regular courier services, or Royal Mail / Parcelforce?
    I've used Parcelforce for overseas delivery recently, without problem, other than their outrageous charges but have been turned down in the past by some of the others as soon as I mentioned 'sword' (telephone booking).
    Last edited by Mel H; 11-25-2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

I always use Parcelforce. I usually list items as antique ornaments, though once I wrote antique sword and didn't have any problems.

I always list them as swords with Parcelforce and have had no problems.
    Do you know about the tubular package terms with R.M.? usefull for short hunting swords etc.
    Mel.

No, sorry. Postage is a dark science to me - I just take things to the Post Office and haggle!

It will not help every time but may be worth knowing about. For some reason known only to the people who devised it, an item packed into tubular shape will be accepted by Royal Mail up to 900mm in length for delivery overseas. But if it's packed into a rectangular shape the max length is 610 mm and has to be sent by the more expensive Parcelforce. It's complicated a little by the fact that the length of the tube plus two times the diamater must be under 1040 mm.
    I've managed with carefull packing to save some postal charges on a few hunting swords and small hilted hangers in the past.
    Mel.

I just got refused at parcelfarce a few days ago. Really need to send a sword to Finland so I can get married in it. Any ideas?

Were you refused at a Post Office? What was the reason given by them? Have you tried another branch?
    Mel.