Thread: Musashi tenga sanmai katana...what do u think

Musashi tenga sanmai katana...what do u think

Hi I found this katana on the musashi web site. I really like it, it's a laminated blade like the ronin katana elites in sanmai lamination. On sale for $299 with sbg discount $254.99. I know this is a great value katana line, especially the $100 and under ones, but are their higher quality ones actually good? Or just overpriced cheapies. The link is below. Please let me know what u think?

http://www.musashiswords.com/shop/produ ... =34&page=1
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Sorry, just a beginner myself, but it certainly looks good. BTW, what is the sbg discount?
    Thanks

Also a beginner here.

Your link didn't work so I googled the name of the sword. The website I came up with, the image of the kissaki was incomplete, and that's one area of the blade where there seems to be a lot of variability between makers and that might make a difference if you are doing tameshigiri.

It's very pretty. Does the vendor have a reputation for consistent quality?

I have the Musashi Kunshi Katana with blue saya and Ito. It is a beautiful blade. Extremely well done. My guess is that the sword listed by the OP is a nice one as well.

Must have been nice. "Out of Stock"!

"..requires a master smith.." For $300? Yeah right.. then again, the fittings only cost $10 (a big fat red warning-sign in itself). The polishing is too poor quality (as are the pictures) to really tell if it's truly laminated or not, but either way I'd steel clear away.
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

I'm startingproducer Musashi sword series in 10 years ago. I'd stop partnership and stop design all the samurai sword in this year. Since this year any MUSASHI sword or "SAM SUNG" is not what I producer.
    I'll using other brand to public my design soon.

This is Mr. Sam Sung (was own "MUSASHI" "FALCON" "PS" "SHINOBI" "MUSHA")

I would also avoid this sword. I see a couple of warning signs including the non-alternating tsukamaki and the old style and cheap seppa. It is rare that you would be able to have features that should cost much more for less and if you do find it somewhere it's usually not what you'd expect.
    Just my opinion of course, I do not own one or know the real value for certain.
    Cottontail Customs on facebook

"Above all, we are coming to understand that the arts incarnate the creativity of a free people. When the creative impulse cannot flourish, when it cannot freely select its methods and objects, when it is deprived of spontaneity, then society severs the root of art." – J.F.K.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Sung View Post
    I'm startingproducer Musashi sword series in 10 years ago. I'd stop partnership and stop design all the samurai sword in this year. Since this year any MUSASHI sword or "SAM SUNG" is not what I producer.
    I'll using other brand to public my design soon.

This is Mr. Sam Sung (was own "MUSASHI" "FALCON" "PS" "SHINOBI" "MUSHA")
    It's nice to hear from you Sam, I actually purchased some of the Musashi blades when you were still with them quite a number of years ago. It's my understanding that Chris Zhou no longer has any affilliation with Musashi as well?

When can we expect your new brand to start production?

So when was the last year Sam Sung had any involvement with musashi?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Hideg View Post
    So when was the last year Sam Sung had any involvement with musashi?
    From what he said, he stopped his partnership with them this year. Some of the older model musashi blades are signed "SAM SUNG". I am guessing Alex Zheng is now designing their blades.

I'm not sure what to make of Mr. Sam Sung no longer being involved in Musashi/Musha. I'll agree that they have/had the best dirt cheap beaters around, they'll last a decent amount of time for $80-$100 and slice up quite a bit of stuff.

Bottom line, there are too many good companies making kats in the $250-$350 range to be messing with the upper levels of Musashis. I also agree that the one you're looking at is pretty sloppy and cheap.

I listed about 10 companies to look at in the "Production Katanas" thread here. Take a peek at what they are offering. You can get the SBG discount with a few of those brands.
    Last edited by Tom Wolff; 08-11-2013 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Adding info

Mr. Chris Zhou and Mr. Takemoto Chen stop offer product to Musashi.
    I'm help my friend to start a new series "RyuJin" offer
    1045, T10 and San Mei steel blade
    1045 steel tsuba.
    The shape of the blade has Shinogidukuri, Syoubudukuri and Kanmuriotoshi.
    Three size of the sword blade/handle: 27.5"/11.5" , 31.5"/ 12.5" , 35.5"/14"
    I'll try to posting good picture in here (hope I can do the best, I'm not good photographer)
    It is new starting I hope someone can test it and let me know any un perfect point. If any Kendo master or reviewer would like to review the sword, please send email to: samsung6000@gmail.com
    Name:  IMG_4319.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  101.2 KB
    Last edited by Samuel Sung; 02-11-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Hi Frank:
    Since April2013

Hi Tom:
    The reason why I'm stop Musashi/Musha is I want focus to the blade steel and heat treatment but my ex-partner has different thinking.
    I'm trying to "move on" and no need kink on the pass.
    I hope Mr. Paul (SBG master) or any other friends can review my new series and posting online. That will be more directly to let people know my aim.
    Last edited by Samuel Sung; 02-11-2014 at 01:04 PM.

The new blade looks great Mr. Sung! I'm eager to find out more
    Cottontail Customs on facebook

"Above all, we are coming to understand that the arts incarnate the creativity of a free people. When the creative impulse cannot flourish, when it cannot freely select its methods and objects, when it is deprived of spontaneity, then society severs the root of art." – J.F.K.

Thanks Joshua
    I'll posting more pic at Ryujin topic.

Finially I got my name "Sam Sung" back! Even I lost a lot money but I think my name is more importent then the money. I can freely and focus on the knives and swords.