Thread: Book on Persian Archery and Swordsmanship published

Book on Persian Archery and Swordsmanship published

I am happy to announce that my new book "Persian Archery and Swordsmanship: Historical Martial Arts of Iran" is published by my own publishing house "Niloufar Books". It has been a real hard work but a very rewarding one. The book really looks great and contains lots of useful information. For some sample pages from this book see:

gallery 1, gallery 2, and gallery 3

http://www.moshtaghkhorasani.com/pub...swordsmanship/

http://www.moshtaghkhorasani.com/pub...-swordsmnship/

http://www.moshtaghkhorasani.com/pub...swordsmanship/

For more information on the research background and contents see

background

http://www.moshtaghkhorasani.com/bio...swordsmanship/

The book costs 120 euros. Discounts are surely available upon bulk orders. To determine transportation costs and to order the book please write me back using the emails

manouchehr@moshtaghkhorasani.com

or

info@mmkhorasani.com

The methods of payment are Paypal or direct bank transfer.

Many thanks for your support. I really appreciate all your help and support to buy this book as this has been a private investment on my part. Thank you for your continuous support through all these years.

Kind regards
    Manouchehr Moshtagh Khorasani

Important notice and my apologies: There was a mistake regarding transportaton costs on my website. This has been a blurp and mistake on my website and someone told me this. I corrected it. The book is sold at 120 EUR within Europe I have to charge 7 prcent VAT for books. Outside EU no VAT is required. Please contact me for the exact transportation costs.
    Many thanks
    Manouchehr
    Last edited by Manouchehr M.; 12-17-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Congratulations Manouchehr. Looks good.

Many thanks Dan. I really appreciate it. The interest has ben really big. Thanks again

Congragulations Manoucher. This is truely an important book.
    "The relationship between West(Occident) and East(Orient) is indeed an example of a relationship of power and domination. Orientalism is thus a style of thought based upon an ontological and epistemological distinction made between the Orient and the Occident. It is a Western style of dominating, restructuring and building hegemony over the Orient.İt is an accepted grid for filtering through the Orient into Western consciousness, into the general culture."
    From "Orientalism" by Edward Said

Many thanks Sancar I truly appreciate it.

Some facts and statistics on the book Persian Archery and Swordsmanship: Historical Martial Arts of Iran
    Total number of picturs: 2095
    1) Pictures of techniques: 1564 total
    64 pictures of dagger techniques
    64 pictures of knife techniques
    145 pictures of qame and qaddare techniques
    232 pictures of spear techniques
    322 pictures of sword and shield, two swords, two handed sword techniques
    149 pctures mace and axe techniques
    460 pictures of wrestling techniques
    128 pictures of varzesh- pahlavani techniques
    2) Miniatures: 313 total
    303 miniatures within the text
    Full-page colored miniatures in th catalog: 10
    3) Artifacts 218 total
    Number of artifacts in the catalog: 40
    Full-colored pictures of artifacts in the catalog: 178
    Numbr of pages: 392 pages
    Endnotes: 2189
    Weight of the book: 2400 grams
    Size: 30,5 cm x 22,5 cm

http://www.moshtaghkhorasani.com/nil...swordsmanship/

The third part of our article on the weapons, tactics and techniques in the Shahname is published is publishd in Katsujinken Magazine. Thanks to my friends and colleagues Mr. Arun Singh (SOAS, London) and Mr. Hessameddin Shafeian (Universi...ty of Riverside, Cal. USA). This part shows th quntitative prt of th numbr of weapons and their usage and is very informtive:
    Moshtagh Khorasani, Manouchehr, Hessamoddin Shafeian and Arun Singh (2012). Tactics, Weapons and Techniques of Persian Warriors in the Book of Kings, Part 3. Katsujinken, Volume 4, Number III, December 2012, pp. 58-69.
    "Epic duels are one of the landmark features of the Šāhnāme by Ferdŏsi. The Šāhnāme offers a detailed description of many duel techniques comparing attacking to defensive techniques and switching between weapons. There are different motives for fighters to fight against a certain opponent in a larger battle. Some of these reasons are as follows: ………….."

http://www.moshtaghkhorasani.com/bio...articles/2012/

Dear colleagues, Dear friends and Dear clients,

I am happy to announce that the last and third part of our article "Tactics, Weapons and Techniques of Persian Warriors in the Book of Kings" that deals with weapons and their usage in the Shahname hs just been published in the American sword art magazine Katsujinken. I thank my research collegues Mr Arun Singh (SOAS, London) and Hessamoddin Shafeian (University of Riverside, Cal, USA) for writing this rticle with me. I highly recommend this journal and would like to thank Mr. Hatcher for his continuous support.

Part 3) Moshtagh Khorasani, Manouchehr, Hessamoddin Shafeian and Arun Singh(2012). Tactics, Weapons and Techniques of Persian Warriors in the Book of Kings, Part 3.Katsujinken, Volume 4, Number III, December 2012, pp. 58-69.
    Epic duels are one of the landmark features of the Šāhnāme by Ferdŏsi. The Šāhnāme offers a detailed description of many duel techniques comparing attacking to defensive techniques and switching between weapons. There are different motives for fighters to fight against a certain opponent in a larger battle. Some of these reasons are as follows: …………..

Part 2) Moshtagh Khorasani, Manouchehr, Hessamoddin Shafeian and Arun Singh(2012). Tactics, Weapons and Techniques of Persian Warriors in the Book of Kings, Part 2.Katsujinken, Volume 3, Number III, Summer 2012, pp. 19-21, .
    It is important to take into consideration that the Šāhnāme reports about the legendary kings and heroes of the Ancient Iran. Hence, the weapons mentioned within it refer to the armament of Ancient Iranian armies such as the Sasanids which in all probability had a significant influence on the manner of warfare and type of weapons described in the epic Šāhnāme. . . 

Part 1) Moshtagh Khorasani, Manouchehr, Hessamoddin Shafeian and Arun Singh(2012). Tactics, Weapons and Techniques of Persian Warriors in the Book of Kings, Part 1. Katsujinken, Volume Number II, March 2012, pp. 62-66.
    "The Šāhnāme (Shahname) [Book of Kings] was written by Hakim Abolqāsem Ferdŏsi (Ferdowsi). Ferdŏsi is one of the most important literary figures in Iranian culture and literature. The Šāhnāmeis a vast and rich work of epic poetrycontaining many instructive metanarratives from which it is possible to identify a complete systematisation of classical Persian military tactics. . . . "

For more information see:

http://www.moshtaghkhorasani.com/bio...articles/2012/

Kind regards
    Manouchehr

Thought you might like to see some appreciation for your hard work, Manouchehr... I gave a little plug for your seminars on there as well.

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=28403