Thread: Need help identifying Weyersberg sword

Need help identifying Weyersberg sword

Hi all - I'm new to this forum and have a few swords I need help with in ID'ing.

This WEYERSBERG SWORD was apparently manufactured between 1774-1883, as it bears only the Weyersberg mark.
    I don't believe it is from the Civil War, since I haven't found it on any of the Civil War weaponry sites

2 Branches
    Single fuller
    Steel guard and metal scabbard

Overall Length: 34 1/2"
    Blade Length: 29 1/2"

Name:  Sword 3 (4).jpg
Views: 137
Size:  99.7 KB
    Name:  Sword 3 (1).jpg
Views: 136
Size:  100.9 KB

Thank you for your help!
    Last edited by K Eiler; 01-11-2013 at 05:35 AM.

Kingdom of Bavaria, Artillery Officers' before 1880...It is not US Civil War at all. Just a good example of the earlier Bavarian actual fighting saber, not the common wimp grade dress weapon that one sees so often today...

Dale

Thank you Dale, that's fantastic! I love this forum!!

K Eiler: I suspect this is why they keep me here, just to ID the German Stuff!!! What is the grip piece made of?? If it is composition like old plastic, it is a later or re-built example...A very nice and desireable weapon!!!

Dale

Dale,

I am still sorting through the German and Austrian patterns. When approximately would you say they transitioned from serviceable to wimp grade swords/sabers?
    Tom Donoho

Dale: The grip piece is definitely not composition or plastic. It looks like wood or something else that is wrapped in some type of fibrous material. I'm attaching a closeup for you. Not sure how well you'll be able to see this, but let me know what you think it is. -Karen

Name:  Sword 3 cu 001.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  101.2 KB

Lightbulb

Karen: It is either leather, or Sharkskin....Hard to say after all the wear...I think that the Bavarians at one time changed from leather to sharkskin, but I cannot recall the date, just that it was sometime after the war of 1870-71....Then they began to use wood dipped in polymer (plastic) and sometime they made it out of molded plastic or composite materiel like really old telephone were made of...

As a rule; Issue weapons, used wood wrapped in leather or sharkskin, then the hard composite...The extra purchase weapons were originally the same, but when the Germans came up with all the early plastics, they began to use this on the privately purchased dress weapons, it cost extra for the original materiel, so most opted for the cheaper stuff...

Dale
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 01-14-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Donoho View Post
    Dale,

I am still sorting through the German and Austrian patterns. When approximately would you say they transitioned from serviceable to wimp grade swords/sabers?
    T.: Until 1918 they still issued real weapons, just that after 1871, the makers began to lighten and cheapen the usual grades, and the full size and weight weapons were not purchased very often by those that had to buy their own weapons. Most of the lighter examples are almost always private purchase, or commerative models, which gradually transition into the versions we find today. I estimate this began after 1871 and continues even today in some cases..

Dale

It looks to me then, based on your descriptions and magnified analysis, that this is leather-wrapped wood. Does not appear to be sharkskin, as it's quite smooth and shows no signs of ever having had a pattern to it. I wish everything ever made was stamped with a date!

Quote Originally Posted by K Eiler View Post
    It looks to me then, based on your descriptions and magnified analysis, that this is leather-wrapped wood. Does not appear to be sharkskin, as it's quite smooth and shows no signs of ever having had a pattern to it. I wish everything ever made was stamped with a date!
    I agree with you that this appears to be leather wrap to me from the photos.
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson