Thread: Huawei: One year and no swords

Huawei: One year and no swords

Hello folks.

I know a few people from here have bought custom orders from Huawei here.

I am now on over 1 year in waiting. original quote was 35 days. I even gladly allowed them extra time and 6 months was no problem in waiting.

My orders were not even difficult compared to what I have seen them make. An extra long kogarasu maru, and an okissaki katana with Bo hi. That's it. No odachi, no 35 inch blade with a reverse curved nakago.

After numerous emails, Jacky Chen from Huawei simply stopped responding.

I consider my money stolen at this point, and I will likely find some means of getting their attention there. Perhaps buying swords on eBay and not paying for them will do. I have requested just an existing replacement that costs exactly what I paid and they begged for more time.

Hopefully they care about their reputation enough to actually make good on my purchase. I am posting this as a warning to others, and hopefully someone from Huawei might care enough to correct this as I am sure they know how much business comes from places like SBG and here.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

That's very unfortunate indeed, I recall the buzz of forumites on both sites consigning, ordering and receiving their swords and being very pleased with the whole matter. I wonder if this is affecting others?

Considering the time frame you may have trouble making a claim but I'm sure there is a case in it.

But the Hanwei factory was burned a year ago and stopped production for several months?
    Got to do something?

FYI Huawei is not Hanwei

I always hate seeing news like this.

Hopefully you used a credit card and have some recourse.

Sorry.
    Here in Italy, never felt this Huawei. Maybe ... luckily

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Frances View Post
    I always hate seeing news like this.
    Absolutely. There have been various "flavor of the month" forges, smiths, and polishers... who eventually disappeared after a lot of lies, excuses, ugly controversy, stolen monies, fittings, blades, etc. It leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouths. And it especially sucks when it happens to one of the good guys like Aaron.

Hope it works out, buddy. I was thinking about getting a custom order from Huawei eventually, but there's no way I'd consider that now; at least not until they make things right with all of their backlog and follow it up with a sincere apology.

I once commissioned a beautiful custom wakizashi from Jesus Hernandez. From a blank rod of w2 to fully finished, polished + habaki and shirasaya took basically 1.5 month (3 full months ahead of schedule), not a full year.
    "It is my feeling that to make a good sword, one must make a weapon first, and art second. But if it is really "right", it is both things at once, and in equal measure." -- Howard Clark

"I cannot compensate for improper use of a sword. Nothing is bullet proof and idiots prove on a regular basis that nothing is idiot-proof -- they're just too creative." -- Keith Larman

JEEBUS, you still haven't gotten those swords Aaron? I myself have gotten several blades from Huawei since you placed that order.

It may not do any good at this point, but I am going to send another e-mail to Jacky regardless....

Quote Originally Posted by A. Timp View Post
    JEEBUS, you still haven't gotten those swords Aaron? I myself have gotten several blades from Huawei since you placed that order.

It may not do any good at this point, but I am going to send another e-mail to Jacky regardless....
    Thanks Joo-Hwan, Drew, fellas,

yes, it is irritating to watch when someone places an order months afterwards and gets it months before, ha ha.

Until this last email I sent I was nothing but courteous and polite, so that's not the issue at least.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

Still nothing.

Might place a bid on a sword to see if that gets their attention.

Interested to know if anyone has contacted Jacky Chen or anyone at Huawei since. They are STILL churning out swords, and at this point I'd gladly take a blade equal to qhat I paid, and minus the fittings I sent to them as well.

Ronin Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Justice View Post
    Still nothing.

Might place a bid on a sword to see if that gets their attention.

Interested to know if anyone has contacted Jacky Chen or anyone at Huawei since. They are STILL churning out swords, and at this point I'd gladly take a blade equal to qhat I paid, and minus the fittings I sent to them as well.
    That's a little scary, I just ordered from them on ebay. I did get a response today from Jacky.

Hey Aaron,
    Long time I see that you're still hanging around here.
    I did receive a sample from them a while back and I know they are still active. I think that they have buried themselves in custom work. Success always comes with a price.

One year delay with little communications sounds familiar though... we both know stories eventually leading to 'dropping from the face of the earth'...
    Hope everything turns out ok...

ps. since when Justice Armory has been renamed to Ronin outpost??? Damn I was gone a long time...
    https://www.facebook.com/TheSamuraiWorkshop - Custom sword mounts, restoration, Kaneie shinken and a whole lot more about Japanese history and martial arts culture

...because spending hundreds of dollars on something that can cost you your life is worth spending more than thirty minutes of thought on.
    Originally Posted by Brian Pettett

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Ching View Post
    Hey Aaron,
    Long time I see that you're still hanging around here.
    I did receive a sample from them a while back and I know they are still active. I think that they have buried themselves in custom work. Success always comes with a price.

One year delay with little communications sounds familiar though... we both know stories eventually leading to 'dropping from the face of the earth'...
    Hope everything turns out ok...

ps. since when Justice Armory has been renamed to Ronin outpost??? Damn I was gone a long time...

Hi Jeff,

it was actually a recent change. Hosting site was shutting down and it was too much of a hassle transferring, so I created a new site.

Still nothing from them. No emails or notifications, oh, and I'm blocked from their eBay store as well.

Just so everyone knows, they aren't pleading for more time. They just got sick that, 1 year and 3 months later, I still am asking for my swords and they no longer care.

Ronin Outpost

Hi Aaron,
    still nothing? So you will not recommend anyone to buy from Huawei........

I've read enough already to never buy from them. Thanks for giving us the heads up.

Just to update. I randomly sent them an email asking when my sword would be done.

To my surprise Jacky Chen replied!

I forwarded him my order confirmation.

Then... nothing. Went back into hiding, after realizing it was me.

Still nothing, and still hiding.

Ronin Outpost

Gosh... I take it there is nothing you can do if you paid using your credit card, such as a charge back?

It does seem to be theft to me too and not exactly for a small amount either.

It is scary how what seems to be a successful ebay dealer can steal a customers money and shrug off an insignificant negative feedback when comparing it to the money they stole. I wonder what the proportions are of theft.. Do they steal one in every 10 custom orders? Hmmmm

I too was strongly considering selling off my oni-forge katana and buying a Huawei but now I am not so sure.. :/

It doesn't seem to be a rampant problem with Huawei taking money and not delivering, that's what makes this kind of an odd case. Since he most likely paid with paypal and they only give 45 days after payment to dispute, he is most likely TSOL.

It seems like Jacky has some kind of personal vendetta against you Aaron...

That's a bummer. I was also considering getting a kogarasu from Huawei, but not going to risk it now. I went through a ridiculous wait time and non-delivery experience with Last Legend, so I know how disappointing and frustrating that process is. But taking your sword parts and money, then ignoring you while continuing to run their business really is inexcusable. Did you buy your swords through eBay, can you open a case or file a complaint with them?

Quote Originally Posted by A. Timp View Post
    It doesn't seem to be a rampant problem with Huawei taking money and not delivering, that's what makes this kind of an odd case. Since he most likely paid with paypal and they only give 45 days after payment to dispute, he is most likely TSOL.

It seems like Jacky has some kind of personal vendetta against you Aaron...

I have absolutely no idea why. 8 months of friendly back and forth emails. It was when he suddenly stopped responding to my emails that after a few months I became more direct, still not impolite though.

I just found it funny how quickly he responded, then quieted up again.

Ronin Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Justice View Post
    I have absolutely no idea why. 8 months of friendly back and forth emails. It was when he suddenly stopped responding to my emails that after a few months I became more direct, still not impolite though.

I just found it funny how quickly he responded, then quieted up again.
    Did you ever get your custom sword from Huawei sword? I'm speaking with Jackie about having a custom sword done, but not sure if I want to send payment after reading this.