Thread: Kukri but from when?

Kukri but from when?

I have searched this site and many others but I find nothing that looks like what I have. It was a war bring back so I am sure it is not a replica it was given to my Grandfather as a thank you for saving a mans life. He told me that at the time it was as if the soldier was giving away his child,the knife was that important to the soldier. I do not want to remove the trench art from it to see the markings if it has any. My Grandfather said it was too small for his hands so he added the para cord, built a sheath [not the 1970's one in photo shown here] and carried it until he came home [WW2] . The para cord covers any markings and also covers any cut in the blade. I see no other knifes like this in any photos I can find. You can see the thin single line on the blade has been either hand stamped crudely with a chisel or grooved then hammered. You can feel the hammer marks and it seems to have been finished with a grinder or sander there is a place where the grinder/sander carved the wood a bit as if it was made quickly. 16 1/2 inches long 42mm full length including handle ,full handle wide tang,dark wooden handle that is two pieces, 1/4 inch thick blade ,no visible stamped numbers. Would you please be kind enough to help me date this? Thank you all for the great info and photos here on this site.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by Bridgit s.; 03-15-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Length was wrong 16 1/2 inches not 17 as I first posted sorry 42mm
    Last edited by Bridgit s.; 03-15-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Interesting question you pose, I have my opinions, but cant be totally sure with the paracord covering any major features that may or indeed may not be there.

If your 100% confident of your provinance of this, you can date it better than anyone.. At the very least it wasnt old when you Grandfather got it.

For an informed opinion of others we actualy need to be able to see it.....

Spiral

No one who would know or help lives near me for at least a thousand miles that's why I put I live in Alaska. Would you be kind enough to tell me your personal opinion? thanks for the reply though.

Hello Bridgit,

As Spiral correctly observes, the paracord has hidden almost all of the features which one would need in order to make a firm attribution.

However, along with your own story above, and judging by what can be made out from the photos, including the blade shape, crude fuller and steel butt cap, I would GUESS that this is an Indian made MKIII style kukri. I can only say style, as any markings are obviously obscured.

These are not especially rare or valuable, but if your story is correct and your father obviously liked it enough to modify it for his use, then you should treasure it as a piece of family history.

Sorry for my lack of clarity Bridgit, As Chris points out I meant "to see it" means the para cord removed. Not that I needed it in hand... {Which is neccasary with some pieces of course.}

Spiral

I looked deeper,the plot thickens

Is it a genuine imitation made who knows where? I cut myself peeling back some para chord to investigate further and it was so sharp the para chord broke a little- oh well,it smells like a dead animal and very rusty under the cord. The notch on the blade is not normal it is very different [forgive my drawing I am still bleeding] it is very sharp even years later. The steel end cap must be attached using steel rivets in the handle, you can see the pin and circle part on both sides are the same and are not brass,a dot within a dot if you look under some rust. I see one but there are probably two rivets. There is no bolster it is just flat not tapered mahogany looking wood. There are no markings just the hand stamped line shown in a above posted photo. It looks like a homemade knife not a production knife. It is balanced centered at the curve and feels very good in your hand. Is this even a Kukuri? A family friend mentioned a Afghanistan visitor of my Grandpa's in the late 60's is this a clue? Thank you for your best guesses before Jonathan R. S., and Christopher J G Scott.

Sorry you cut yourself Bridget, after playing with blades all my life I forget its easy to do...

Thanks for the drawing, Its possible its an Afghan made kukri rather than Indian, the notch rather implies that. Photos of the handle would help more than a drawing though.....

If it is Afghan its a good find, there somewhat rarer!

Jonathan

sorry here they are

I bet you knew I drew that backwards. I was trying not to bleed on my smartphone. It is much smaller than I drew also. Not the greatest photos but you can see the grind marks on the wood where it looks like it was made too fast and I did not remove too much para cord it still looks about the same. I am told the visitor was retired Foreign Legion they think. Thanks again
    Last edited by Bridgit s.; 03-29-2013 at 12:03 PM. Reason: added one more photo

There IS markings on it put there long ago

It is very hard to see and I cant get a good photo but there is markings on it. Small hammered in dots ,tiny but permanently stamped,I am not sure if this is all of them but here is what I am seeing beneath the rust. It looks to me as if someone cleaned this side to see these better but it was long ago,the other side is all rusted and not like this side half rusted. I tried to draw them the best I could but who knows what they say or mean? anyone have a best guess?
    I see how you do it now
    overall length 41.5 mm 16 1/4 inch
    thickness 5 mm 1/4 inch no taper thick to point witch is arrow shaped taper
    drop 8.5 mm slightly over 3 1/4 inch
    blade length 29.5 mm 11 3/4 inch
    belly depth 4.8 mm 1 6/8 inch
    handle length 12.5 mm 4 14/16 inch
    Last edited by Bridgit s.; 03-30-2013 at 07:25 PM. Reason: new measuments

I see how you do it now

overall length 41.5 cm 16 1/4 inch
    thickness 5 mm 1/4 inch no taper thick to point witch is arrow shaped taper
    drop 8.5 cm slightly over 3 1/4 inch
    blade length 29.5 cm 11 3/4 inch
    belly depth 4.8 cm 1 6/8 inch
    handle length 12.5 cm 4 14/16 inch
    Last edited by Bridgit s.; 03-30-2013 at 08:55 PM. Reason: changed metric sorry blokes