Thread: (Another) Shinsakuto in Shirasaya for Sale

(Another) Shinsakuto in Shirasaya for Sale

I was planning to mount this to keep for myself, but have decided (for now) to put it up for sale. It's the last unmounted blade I have.

This one is signed "Chikuzen no Yamaguchi Yasamune saku" (made by Yamaguchi Yasamune of Chikuzen province). I don't have any information on this smith -- I believe he is alive and still making swords in Japan. There is no date.

The nagasa is 28.5" and the balance is excellent -- it feels really lively in the hand. It's a bit wider and more robust than the previous one I had for sale, but it's still an elegant blade rather than anything resembling a thick chopper. The forging is outstanding -- nearly perfect sugata; tight hada with itame, masame, and small areas of mokume; and a classic suguha hamon. Simple poplar shirasaya with wood habaki.

There's nothing else like properly forged tamahagane -- this is what a real Japanese sword is supposed to look and feel like. It deserves a high-quality mount and use for actual JSA -- in my opinion, it's too nice for the likes of backyard water bottle cutting.

I'm offering it at $2600 shipped CONUS, which I believe is a ridiculously good deal given the quality of this blade. You pay shipping beyond Standard USPS Post and any paypal fees.

I have no intention of lowering the price and am not interested in trades or lowball offers. The longer it stays unsold, the more likely I'll keep it for myself after all. This is one of those blades that I know I'll regret selling as I'm boxing it up to be shipped.

nice looking blade Joe, i love the clean lines. Great deals here lately, someone should jump on this.

bill

Please contact me at guxh75@hotmail.com .thanks.

on hold pending payment

payment still not received, so back up and available again.

do you know who did the habaki, polish, and shirasaya?
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

not sure on the polish. i think it was done in japan.

shirasaya and wooden habaki done in the u.s. by mike virgadamo.

buyer has completely disappeared. still available.

bump for june.

i have deliberately held off on mounting this blade so that potential buyers could pick out their own mounts.

would anyone be more likely to buy if this were in full mounts? obviously, the price would go up accordingly.

a couple more close-ups that show the hada... you won't find this kind of tight forging in a production blade or even anyone's custom work at this price.

This blade is damned tempting. I can't believe nobody's snapped this up yet.
    "Remember shop smart, shop 's' mart

bumpy

Hello Joe, it really depends on how much the mounting would cost but i would be interessted

and that depends on what kind of mounts you want...

send me a PM and we can discuss. i work with someone who does very good work at a very reasonable price, but you'll need to think about getting tsuba/fuchi-kashira/menuki that you'll be happy with.

another buyer agrees to a sale and a payment plan, then completely disappears.

so, this is still available. some awfully nice blades up here right now looking for good homes....

*sigh*

another month, another bump.

let's make a deal... this blade is just asking to be mounted and needs a good home.

sold.