Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: British infantry swords, m. 1796 and m. 1803

Hello Richard,
    I really like the hilts on them! I think I've seen pics of one of them before somewhere. They almost look as if they have a middle eastern influence to them. What do they handle like?
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

eBay 221389713163 is the twin to the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in Richard's post. Same sword perhaps? Even the pitting and wear looks similar!

--ElJay

Quote Originally Posted by E.B. Erickson View Post
    eBay 221389713163 is the twin to the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in Richard's post. Same sword perhaps? Even the pitting and wear looks similar!

--ElJay
    ElJay,

Yes, its the same sword. I sold all three to a well-known dealer last summer. You can also find the other two on the internet if you search hard enough.

Richard
    Celeriter nil crede

They are fine swords, more likely the kind that the fiction character Richard Sharp would've carried rather than a thigh-slapping Heavy Calvary sword in a metal scabbard. Richard, what kind of balance did they have? Did they seem practical for combat?
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

Quote Originally Posted by morgan butler View Post
    They are fine swords, more likely the kind that the fiction character Richard Sharp would've carried rather than a thigh-slapping Heavy Calvary sword in a metal scabbard. Richard, what kind of balance did they have? Did they seem practical for combat?
    Morgan

Well I'm not a swordsman so I can't really make a proper judgment on this other than to say that the two RWF swords felt a bit like light cavalry sabres but the 2nd Queen's West Surrey sword was very blade heavy.

Richard
    Celeriter nil crede

Tomas,
    Here are some pics of 96 Spadroons with brass wire grips.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

Hello Morgan,
    Thanks for this interesting information. IŽve decided to use twisted brass wire for the restoration.
    Do you remember by the way if the winding had the herring bone pattern,
    or if the wisted wires were twisted in the same direction?
    /Tomas

Hello again Morgan,
    How strange, the moment I sent my last replay to you, your post with the pictures of the brass wire spadroons popped up.
    Thank you very much!
    /Tomas

Your welcome! Are you going to with brass or copper wire?
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

I will use brass wire, however, it looks like the wire on my grip is not as thin as in your pictures, I have got myself a USB microscope to try to measure the wire diameter and see the twist direction, since not enough wire protrudes to use a calliper on.

I will be interested to see the result. How do you afix wire to the grip without taking it off the sword?
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

Here are some pics of the remains of the original wrapping wires seen through a microscope.
    The wire diameter is about 0.50mm or 24AWG.
    Since the new wire wrapping is not intended to be of battle quality,
    IŽll try to anchor the wire ends by inserting them as far as I can into the wire holes
    in the wooden grip, and then wedge them there with "tooth picks" and a little glue.
    Fortunately there is a bit of play between the wooden grip and the brass parts which makes the
    holes accessible. When the wire is in place, IŽll tighten the hilt and thus hide the holes.
    I Just checked the local hobby shops net page by the way, and they have soft 24AWG brass wire.
    IŽm looking forward to some experimenting this weekend, trying to find a suitable
    "twists per inch" value for the twisted wires.

/Tomas E
    Last edited by Tomas Eriksson; 03-18-2014 at 07:31 PM.

Impressive!
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

By the way I thought I would mention (even though it takes us down a steep and slippery slope) how much in general I have come to love the infantry officer/nco straight sword of the 18th/early 19th century. I think it's what I would most like to collect. They are all very similar, with blades about 27 to 31 inches, and have a militarized (large) small-swordish hilt. Yet there so much diversity as well, from light duty versions to full on combat models.
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

another nice one...Boatshell guard and typical copper grip. Wish I had a better pic of the blade. Seem doubledged. Nice officer sword.
    http://p2.la-img.com/1841/44449/19727711_3_l.jpg
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
    Here are some pics of the remains of the original wrapping wires seen through a microscope.
    The wire diameter is about 0.50mm or 24AWG.
    Since the new wire wrapping is not intended to be of battle quality,
    IŽll try to anchor the wire ends by inserting them as far as I can into the wire holes
    in the wooden grip, and then wedge them there with "tooth picks" and a little glue.
    Fortunately there is a bit of play between the wooden grip and the brass parts which makes the
    holes accessible. When the wire is in place, IŽll tighten the hilt and thus hide the holes.
    I Just checked the local hobby shops net page by the way, and they have soft 24AWG brass wire.
    IŽm looking forward to some experimenting this weekend, trying to find a suitable
    "twists per inch" value for the twisted wires.

/Tomas E

Tomas,
    Did you ever finish the brass wire wrapping on your 96 Spadroon?
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

Nice thread--sorry I missed it earlier. These are nice swords with small-sword type hilts. For wrapping work, you might consider a pure copper wire as it is easier to work with (doesn't spring back while wrapping) and looks nice for grips with fine wire wrapping. Those heavy wire wraps look nice too if you can manage it. That's a nice one with the double quillon and urn form pommel. Those heavier ones remind me of the German swords Neumann shows in his book.
    Tom Donoho

Hi Morgan,
    Well, I did a test, wrapping part of the handle, but I felt the new brass wire became a bit to shiny.
    The dark Brown bare Wood handle is actually more pleasing to my Eye.
    However, If I find some brass wire with an aged look, or a process to dull the shine of brass wire,
    IŽll do Another test.

Name:  handle wire.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  102.2 KB

Hello Tomas,
    I think it looks great with the brass wire. Really all you have to do is hold it a lot and it will get tarnished and dull down enough to blend in with the rest of the hilt after awhile. Should you decide to complete the wrapping I would love to see the finished product!
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

I may of mentioned this in an older post but lightly coating the wire in a light oil helps prevent the wire from breaking when you twist it tightly using a cordless drill.

Hello, Tomas.

I think that you could speed up things a bit with the help of some ammonia:

http://www.howtoantiquebrass.com/how...-with-ammonia/

Haven't tried it myself, but it is an old trick to give the brass an aged surface, while avoiding verdigris. If the wire is lacquered, the use of some solvent before the ageing could be in order.

Juan J.
    SI, SI
    NO, NON

Hello fellows,
    Thank you for the advice about twisting and ageing brass wire!
    IŽll try them all when I work on this particular sword again.
    However, since I recently got the wifes permission to build
    a big show case in the livingroom to house most of the collection,
    (and I feel that this is a once in a life time oportunity to be acted on at once)
    that work is resting for a while. I'm now sketching cabinets and trying to find
    the optimal design for shelves and sword holders to hold and show
    as many swords as possible while allowing easy acces to all of them.
    /Tomas E

We look forward to seeing your showcase one day! Here are some pics of a silver hilted 96 with a copper wire hilt. Non-folding un-ornemented guard. I believe it's a double edged blade...Nice!
    Last edited by morgan butler; 09-30-2014 at 10:08 PM.
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

Also I thought this was interesting. This is one of the swords that Nelson fought with at least once during a boarding action. You will notice it is a spadroon bladed sword. A light weapon but the blade was undoubtedly stiff. Though this is a Naval example, it still shows that these kind swords were fought with by officers in battle.
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

Here is a pic of a Prussian Infantry Officer sword. As we know the British 96 version was based on these. Locating pics of the earlier Prussian versions are devilishly hard to find. There is a pic somewhere on SFI of one that has "Potsdam" inserted into the forte in brass. I wasn't able to locate it.
    I find these quite handsome looking. Also I would love to own one.
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast