Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: US Naval Officers Swords 1872 to 1942

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Henriksen View Post
    I am new here and have one purpose in posting: I inherited my uncle's World War II US Navy sword. He was commissioned in May 1941. I had admired it since I was about 6 years old. My cousin recently died and I was able to obtain the sword plus my uncle's ribbons, Cmdr's insignia, his bronze star, etc. The part of the handle that was originally white is now very dull. The brass shows signs of Brasso being left on it years ago. The bottom 8 to 10 inches of the scabbard it missing. I want to conserve it and pass it on to my grandson who is enamored with all things WWII. After Christmas, I will take it to The Mariner's Museum here in Newport News, VA to discuss it with their conservators.

Is the old all-leather scabbard worth restoring? Can they be replaced? Is there someone who can properly clean and restore the blade and handle?

Sorry for lack of proper terminology but this is my first adventure into swords.

Gene Henriksen
    (The USAF did not issue swords to us officers)
    Gene, Assuming you uncle bought a new sword it would be one like those at the beginning of this thread. I also assume that the leather covering on the steeling liner is what has deteriorated. This is a problematic repair and answering these questions maybe helpful.
    Is this sword personalized with your uncles name?
    Is there any of the original leather remaining?

The posting of pictures will help.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Graham View Post
    Gene, Assuming you uncle bought a new sword it would be one like those at the beginning of this thread. I also assume that the leather covering on the steeling liner is what has deteriorated. This is a problematic repair and answering these questions maybe helpful.
    Is this sword personalized with your uncles name?
    Is there any of the original leather remaining?

The posting of pictures will help.
    The sword is not personalized but does say USN. This was post-Depression and I doubt he wanted to spend money on engraving. The eagle's head on the hilt looks to the eagle's left (viewer's right). The blade stated Made USA and appears to have a star of David behind it.

Name:  IMG_1161.jpeg
Views: 80
Size:  75.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1164.jpeg
Views: 81
Size:  83.2 KB

[QUOTE=Gene Henriksen;1224826]The sword is not personalized but does say USN. This was post-Depression and I doubt he wanted to spend money on engraving. The eagle's head on the hilt looks to the eagle's left (viewer's right). The blade stated Made USA and appears to have a star of David behind it.

It is the common Lilley-Ames type IV shown at the beginning of the thread. I think the scabbard is beyond repair and I would not bother to do anything but oil or wax the blade.

Thank you sir, I appreciate the answer and your time.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345