Thread: Scottish regimental dirk

Scottish regimental dirk

Hello everyone, I came across this dirk?? recently and I'm trying to find more information on it. I have very little knowledge myself of antique weaponry or weaponry of ant sort really, so any help would be great. From what I can gather online it's a Scottish regimental dirk, hope the pictures are adequate, let me know if not and I can try and take better ones, many thanks in advance,
    Name:  20130603_210750.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  93.3 KBName:  20130603_210813.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  94.0 KBName:  20130603_210803.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  96.5 KBName:  20130603_210756.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  97.5 KB
    Last edited by Gabrielle Ahearn; 06-05-2013 at 06:28 AM.

This is a Piper's Dirk for regiments of the British Army.
    It could be either the Mk 1 or the Mk II.
    Is there a makers mark on the blade possibly Mole or Wilkinson?

here is an original specification 1899 document issued to Mole
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Robert Wilkinson-Latham; 06-05-2013 at 07:22 AM.

[QUOTE=Robert Wilkinson-Latham;1190080]This is a Piper's Dirk for regiments of the British Army.
    It could be either the Mk 1 or the Mk II.
    Is there a makers mark on the blade possibly Mole or Wilkinson?

here is an original specification 1899 document issued to Mole[/Q

Name:  20130605_153746.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  98.8 KB
    I have posted pictures of the blade edge which has the only markings on it that I can see,Their may be something at the bottom on one side but it's very faint, I also put up a picture of the other side of the hilt which has a different design.Name:  20130605_161353.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  89.4 KBName:  20130605_154519_1.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  100.6 KB

Not unusual most UK Government Contract weapons only have military marks and for items such as Piper's Dirks issued to Band and Pipers of the Highland Regiments many no not have regimental marks or numbers.

The blade markings you show are part of the blade design.

Hope that helps
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wilkinson-Latham View Post
    Not unusual most UK Government Contract weapons only have military marks and for items such as Piper's Dirks issued to Band and Pipers of the Highland Regiments many no not have regimental marks or numbers.

The blade markings you show are part of the blade design.

Hope that helps
    Robert
    That really helps thanks, Any idea how old it is? Any idea what it's worth? Just want to see if it's less than I paid...
    Last edited by Gabrielle Ahearn; 06-05-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Gabrielle. Do you have any history on this dirk, specifically how it got to be in such corroded condition? Regards, Rob
    "Ancora imparo - Michelangelo Buonarotti"

Hi Rob, I don't know anything about it unfortunately, just bought it 3 days ago

Anyone???

Gabrielle,
    We do not provide valuations.

Jonathan

I'm simply trying to gather as much information on it as I can, I think that's obvious from all my other questions I'm not simply on here for a valuation, the dirk will never be sold, I've already promised it to my son when he grows up, I take offence to that remark Jonathan

No need to be offended, Gabrielle. I was not implying any ill intent on your part. I was informing you that we do not provide valuations.

Jonathan

Gabrielle. In the booklet "The Scottish Dirk" by James D. Forman it says "All this changed after the Crimean War when someone at the war office decided the old Highland solo instrument should be joined by a drum corps, and the ever popular Pipes and Drums was born Briefly, all bandsmen were issued a new pattern sword in 1857. This sword moved on to staff sergeants of Highland volunteer units in 1871, at which time pipers and drummers were issued a dirk classified as the Mark I piper's dirk from ordnance. Mounted in white metal it bore a 12 inch scalloped blade inscribed with the regimental name and a floral thistle design. The scabbard mounts also bore a thistle and the black strapwork hilt carried a crown on its pommel cap. A Mark II dirk arrived in 1879, omitting the regimental name; a final Mark III version appeared in 1913 with it's blade entirely clean.

I hope this helps and, as has been said, the only way for you to continue to identify it is to remove the corrosion from the blade and see if there are any makers marks. Regards, Rob
    "Ancora imparo - Michelangelo Buonarotti"

Many thanks for raising your questions Gabrielle, it prompted me to research a similar dirk I acquired last year. From the information provided by others in this thread, it appears that I have a Mk II dirk (floral design blade but no unit markings). The specifications from Roberts 1899 document also apply. Both the dirk and scabbard are in very good condition and my purchase came with belt frog. Managed to buy for £30. Hope this may be of use to you.
    Regards
    AndyH