Thread: 1897 pattern help please.

1897 pattern help please.

Hi,
    This is my first foray into swords. I couldn't help but buy this one and could do with help. From spending a few hours research would I be right in thinking that this is a British infantry warrant officers sword?. It has The VR on the guard. There is no decorative etching on the blade only the marks that I have photographed here. Also as shown it is marked roughly QMA 31 would I be right that this was a Quartermasters sword?. It has its field scabbard but might it never have actually been used as the Quartermaster never commanded troops?? Could someone help with a value(forgive me if that is a wrong question on this forum)

Any help greatly appreciated.
    GregB
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Hi Forget valuing please, just picked up on the rules.
    Thanks
    Greg.

Hi Greg, yes it is an 1897 pattern NCO's sword. It appears to have been first proved in July 1901 ( 7 '01), so one of the last swords to have VR rather than ERvii.
    I don't know what QMA stands for, but my assumption is that it is a regimental assignment. Queen's Something Something?

Greg. The BR with a crown above it indicates it was sent to Birmingham Repair in '04 and the number 26 is the inspector's number.
    "Ancora imparo - Michelangelo Buonarotti"

Thank you very much for the info so far. Is having a repair a bad thing?

Greg.

No... in a way it's a good thing, because it shows that the sword was still in use and intended to stay in use in 1904. So you know it was retained in the Army for a few years at least. The repair could have been anything, from a repolish, to fixing a bent guard (common), or a damaged scabbard (also common).

Thanks Matt. I was worried that it might affect the value as I paid £300.00 for it but it sounds like it might have increased its worth rather than decreased it lol. I would really like to find out what the Q.M.A stands for. I have searched google starting with 'Queens' as the first word but to no avail although the Quartermaster thing keeps popping back up. If I am right these swords were given to warrant officers who had been promoted by warrant and quartermaster was a warrant officer. I may be going completely down the wrong road though.
    Greg.

Hi,
    Just for info I have found out what the initials Q.M.A stand for. They stand for Quarter Master Adjutant, so the likelihood is that this was maybe a Captains or Leftenant's sword but under the rank of Major.

Greg.

Hmm, as far as I can see, the rank you refer to was generally 'Adjutant & Quartermaster', which would not give QMA, I think. Apart from that I find it quite unlikely that an officer would be carrying a Sergeant's sword, though nothing is impossible (for example if his sword was lost or damaged, forcing him to take a sword from stores).