Thread: Civil War Imported Staff Officers Sword Union or Confederate? Unstopped Fuller

Civil War Imported Staff Officers Sword Union or Confederate? Unstopped Fuller

I was wondering if anyone knows the origin of this sword. It has French writing ( i believe) on the spine and a stamp on the underside of the guard of a helmet with a sword thru it and the initials of what looks like F B D around it. On the knuckle guard it is stamped W. RAUBF. The leather scabbard is almost gone and in will not move very far. The second ring is stuck and the drag will not move at all. There is etching on the blade but with the scabbard not moving I can't see if it is US or CS marked. Does anyone have a clue as to what this sword is. Thanks in advance. Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Richard,

If the blade isn't etch with anything US or CS and without some provenance linking the sword to the US Civil War, then we cannot assume its association to that conflict. Looks to me to be a French pattern 1821 infantry officers sword. The US pattern 1850 foot sword is derived from the French pattern, but many other nations also used the pattern.
    Andre F. Ducote
    Mississippi

Hi Richard,

Don't have any reference books to hand, but the helmet and sword symbol in your fourth picture is surely that of PD Luneschloss of Solingen, or perhaps an earlier incarnation of the company (or maybe even a variation on the standard marking used to sell in different markets?).

John
    "If I can't be a good example to others, at least let me be a horrible warning".

I think it is French about the time of WW1.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    Hi Richard,

Don't have any reference books to hand, but the helmet and sword symbol in your fourth picture is surely that of PD Luneschloss of Solingen, or perhaps an earlier incarnation of the company (or maybe even a variation on the standard marking used to sell in different markets?).
    John
    Isn't it a French cutler's mark? That was the case with a sword I had acquired with a similar mark but different French cutler.
    http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...fantry-Pattern

F X D and G X L being two French cutlers.

In my case a blade from Klingenthal/Coulaux and then hilted independently.

Cheers

Hotspur; lots of French cutlers it would seem

It is a French cutler's mark. Specifically, the firm of Backes and Delacour. The two partnered in 1860. The B is for Backes, and the F and D for F. Delacour.

FWIW, Raube shows up on a lot of ACW swords, and at least one ACW musket is stamped "W. Raube" (identical stamp to the one on Richard's hilt) with "NY" below it. So, perhaps Raube was based in New York and imported French-made arms for the ACW?

Good morning Richard,

You have a french " Sabre des officiers et sous-officiers, modèle 1845 " stamped with the mark of F.Delacour, cutler in Paris during the Second Empire (1852-1870) who merged with another cutler, Backes, during the 3rd Republic (1870-1940).

Best,

Dan

Gee Mark,

I left my post for a few minutes and when I got back and sent it, I saw yours....

regards,

Dan

Thanks for the info. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can get the scabbard to slide down as the second brass ring seems to be hung up and will not move. The top ring and throat will move.

Best Regards
    Richard

Good morning Richard,

Your scabbard being badly torn and assuming all you can save from it is the brass furniture, some penetrating oil could help to free the blade.
    I believe that, with some TLC you could bring back the saber to life.
    As for the scabbard, Tom Nardi could have one for sale or make a new one using your parts.
    Here is how it should look like

Name:  1845 (No 2) 001.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  100.4 KB

Best,

Dan

Maybe if you pinch with a (padded) clamp the brass piece it will increase the space and allow the blade to slip free.

Richard, I have an Ames 1850 foot sword that had an equally bad scabbard. It's got all of the furniture and the hanging hooks. I scrapped the leather as it was too far gone and instead used the leather from another sword. I do agree though that Tom Nardi is a good choice. Check with him on the time frame. He will also need your sword as he Ames the scabbard based upon the sword.
    Andre F. Ducote
    Mississippi