Thread: 18th Century Cavalry Officer Sword

18th Century Cavalry Officer Sword

Greetings Chaps,

This is a new acquisition of mine. I quite like it. The word is that it's English. I haven't seen any British Cav hilts of this type before. I have seen pics of French "a la Suedoise" (Swedish) style hilts but they didn't have the pas de ans on them. It has a massive 34 inch blade so I assume it's for an officer of the heavy (Cuirassier?) cavalry. Does anyone have any notion of Nationality? Or can we only call it "Mid 1740's European"? Thanks Much, Please let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by morgan butler; 08-01-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

The Kingdom of Prussia used that pattern for a very long time, until 1918, for Kuerassiere Offizieren, but the English also used this style in the earlier times...circa 1790 and later.

Dale

Thank you for the reply Dale. I have seen some Prussian Cuirassier hilts and also the British Life Guards and Heavy Cav dress swords have a similar hilt. Both are without the pas de ans on them though. So perhaps this is earlier than 1790, when pas de ans were still much used in hilt design.. If you have any pics of early examples I would love to see them. Also, I love your SF icon! Paths of Glory was a terrific film.
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

Lightbulb Prussian Kuerassieren and Infantrie Offizieren Stichdegene..

Morgan: The Kuerassieren had the pas de ans, the Infantrie does not....never did, the pas d ane disappeared from the Kuerassier Degen sometime around 1850 or so, and was totally gone by 1900..

The Infantry model here was made around 1883, the Cavalry model was made much later, close to WW I...The bar and boat remain, but the rings have disappeared by this time. I have not seen a Prussian example later than the 1830's with the rings. The Infantry Model seen here on the right, was adopted around 1817 and kept this form, more or less, until 1889. There is a lot of variation in the Cavalry models, and the ever thrifty Prussians issued or allowed the use of earlier models until the 1830's...Some of which were captured or not exactly like the official pattern...

To add to the confusion, even numbered Prussian Heavy Cavalry Regiments carried the Russian style Pallosch and Degen,along with the Garde Kuerrasieren....After 1890 or so, they all carried the French Style of both swords...

Good movie, one of the best ever!! Thanks!!

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 08-02-2013 at 12:22 AM.