Thread: German sabre query

German sabre query

Hello all,
    I just picked up a substantial cavalry sabre and am hoping that some of our collectors of German swords can tell me which model it is.
    It has two different kings crown marks and on close examination there seems to be a makers stamp within a dotted oval ( S ?? H or K ) Shnitzler Kirchbaum?
    The thing that puzzles me most, is what looks like two broad arrows stamped facing each other. Marks like this found on British items denote redundancy. Why would a German sword have this? Could it be an inspection / bend test mark?

Regards Mel.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Mel, you seem to have one of the swords made for trials in the late 1840's for the Prussian Guard Hussars. They were not a great success and were bought by the British through the Leige market and stamped by their own inspectors there. Issued to the drivers of the Royal Engineers around 1850. Blade length 35ins. Yours has the leather finger loop missing. Congratulations on a nice pick-up,not many of them around,cheers Ned.
    Ned

Many thanks Ned,
    your helpful reply prompted me to get off my backside and take a look in Brian Robson's book, funny, I can't remember seing this one before, but I must have done, with the amount of times I've consulted the book ( I'll put it down to advancing years ).
    Thanks again, Mel.
    Last edited by Mel H; 08-04-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Mel: S&K===Schnitzler & Kirschenbaum...seem about right for the date..

Dale

Tidied up

Silver paint removed, I've got my eye out for a piece of leather for the finger grip ( my wife's seen the signs and hidden her handbags).

Does anyone know what sort of quantities would be purchased?

Mel.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Mel, I would just cut a strip off an old leather belt. A damaged piece of military kit,bandolier etc. should also do the job,Ned.
    Ned

Thanks Ned, I found a well worn old dog lead that will fit the bill, the wife can breathe a sigh of relief.
    Mel.