Thread: Help Identifiying short sword? Dagger?

Question Help Identifiying short sword? Dagger?

Hello Everyone.
    This is my first post on this forum, I been trying to identify this weapon and hope you guys can help me.
    Thank You in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by J.Laurent; 08-27-2013 at 08:25 AM.

J. It appears to be a souvenir type swagger stick made in India or Africa.
    "Ancora imparo - Michelangelo Buonarotti"

Quote Originally Posted by Rob E. Ozias View Post
    J. It appears to be a souvenir type swagger stick made in India or Africa.
    Thank You

But it is too short for a stick ! and it does not look like a souvenir to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by J.Laurent; 08-27-2013 at 01:31 PM.

J. A swagger stick is not a walking stick but rather a short stick carried as a indication of rank in the military. Tons of them were made, with blades and without, and sold as souvenirs. I am not stating that this is definitely what it is, merely a suggestion. Regards, Rob
    "Ancora imparo - Michelangelo Buonarotti"

Quote Originally Posted by Rob E. Ozias View Post
    J. A swagger stick is not a walking stick but rather a short stick carried as a indication of rank in the military. Tons of them were made, with blades and without, and sold as souvenirs. I am not stating that this is definitely what it is, merely a suggestion. Regards, Rob
    Thank You Rob for your comments, hopefully someone can help us identify this item, blade seems to be forged and sharp especially on the tip of the blade, is very solid and heavy. I determined that is hand carved because of the differences. If it is a souvenir is a expensive one for sure

Sorry to burst your bubble, that is a modern( 1990's on) Item. I have several in storage back home in N.Z. I bought mine from a shop in Auckland that was selling African sourced items. These ranged from soapstone carving through to full size spears. Much of the stock was made up of wooden items, stools, bowls, masks etc and a bunch of these "concealed" knives.
    I do not know if there is a historical precursor for these as African items are not my usual interest, however I am quite sure the item in the picture is modern. Enjoy it for what it is.
    Phil