Thread: Blade mark - has anyone seen this one before?

Blade mark - has anyone seen this one before?

Hi this belongs to a fellow collector & we are curious about the partially obscured stamp on the blade & would appreciate it if anyone can provide any info on it. The sword is British & the mark is a crown over HO.
    Adrian
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Hi Adrian I have seen that mark on the blade of a 1780/88 Light cav sword, and was told by the very knowledgable owner that it was an early mark of Henry Osborn

Could the H be a B ?
    Board of Ordnance ?
    Mel.

Hi Mel, at first glance it does look like it might be BO, I am familiar with BO which is usually attended with the arrow (I haven't seen a crowned BO). I inspected it under magnification & it is definitely HO. It dates to the same era as the 1780/88 light cav sword mentioned by Ron, above, and Henry Osborne does make sense as a good contender for its meaning.
    Adrian

Hi there Adrian, it was just a thought.
    I suppose that BO marks were stamped by the relevant authority after manufacture and therefore would be placed in a clear spot rather than partially hidden under the guard. As for the actual stamping, I've had a sea service flintlock pistol with BO surmounted with a crown.
    Mel.

I'm no expert, but aren't government departments the only people allowed to use the crown as an official mark ?

Crowns are quite frequently found on various non Govt arms, I've seen commercial cannons that have them on their barrels & perhaps most frequently encountered are Pattern 1853 style rifles imported by both sides of the American Civil War from English commercial sources which have a crown on the tail of the lock, even TOWER is often stamped on these as well. However using the royal cypher (crown over GR or VR etc) is rarely encountered on a non Govt owned arm.
    Adrian