Thread: 9260s

9260s

Are they as durable as they seem?

Which companies offer 9260 blades?

I bought 1 from st nihonto and the other from huawei. They will take some time to arrive and I'm keen to see what other companies are out there.

Thanks

AB

Hi Aaron,

It looks like Chenness also uses 9260.

The heat treatment of the steel is going to be far more important than steel type. After construction is considered, the durability of a blade is going to be largely dependent on how it is used. Anything can be screwed up by bad angles, inappropriate force, or unsuitable cutting medium, or the combination of all three. The most "durable" is going to be a properly made sword used by someone with good training who understands the limitations of their sword, and more importantly, themselves.

Take a look at the first video link http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...-snaps-in-half

Thanks for the reply.

I guess the big question is which sword has the best heat treatment then. For the moment I am interested in sticking with 9260s cause not many people seem to make them, so my collection can be small and specific.

Are you suggesting that none of them have that great heat treatment? Would it be best to go in a different direction?

I've reflected on your comment, and it's very insightful Jonathan.

I do hope it was useful. I'm trying to think about your question. Preferring one steel type over another for whatever reason isn't necessarily a bad idea. It really is the shaping and the heat treatment that defines the quality though. It looks like you're somewhere in the $200 or so price range, which I am not really experienced with. I had a Hanwei Practical once that did everything you'd expect from a thick heavy sword.

You can get a useable sword, but it isn't realistic to expect too much out of it. In case you haven't already seen this, in order to build and ship swords at relatively low prices ($200 sounds like a good amount of cash until you start to look at the work that is supposed to go into everything - blade, fittings, handle, scabbard, the whole thing) - companies have to cut corners here and there. They do bulk heat treatments, where X out of the whole lot probably come out ok. There is a bit of a gamble. This isn't to say never buy a cheap sword, but it's there for you to be better informed about your decision.

If that is your budget, the end, then I really think your best bet is to check as many current reviews as you can find. I think you are taking your chances with eBay vendors - the deals probably look good but it's important to think about what you'll be able to do if something goes wrong either getting the sword or not being happy once it gets delivered. Paying a little extra for the peace of mind knowing you can call someone with questions or having clear warranty / return policies might be worth it.

if you haven't already ordered from Huawei, you may want to read this thread before you do: http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...-and-no-swords
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

Thanks Jonathan and Timo.

I ordered some swords before I posted. One of them was from hauwei and it was before I read that post.

In total I bought 3 from 3 different vendors. 2 9260s and 1 1060.

Maybe I should of just bought one sword from hanwei or the like. I've been following freestyle cutters and cutting mechanics for a while. Which pushed me over the edge to buy a sword and get back into training. In some ways I felt a little more comfortable buying a couple of cheap swords which would allow me to cut without worrying about breaking the sword.

The first sword arrived. It's a 1060, set me back $80. The fittings are tight, sword doesn't rattle and the blade is in good shape. I need to break it down and check out the tang and bamboo pegs before I give it the all clear. This sword was to get comfortable sharpening and all the other bits. The quality is what it is. At least everything is in good shape. I did read some posts about cracked cases and loose fittings.

I don't know if this is 100% but it seems that any sword under $500 will have some issues. I was just trying to find the ones with less.

I've been very favorably impressed by my 9260 HSTS Tsunami. Admittedly, I haven't had a chance to cut with it yet, but the coverall quality of the sword, its fittings, and its handling characteristics give the deserved impression of sword that feels as though it should cost a few hundred dollars more than what I paid for it.

I saw that sword, it looks great. Good to hear that you are happy with it. I will no doubt look at getting that sword in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_Bret View Post
    I saw that sword, it looks great. Good to hear that you are happy with it. I will no doubt look at getting that sword in the near future.
    It looks as though HSTS got in a new shipment of these swords. Saw several new ones in stock last time I checked.