Thread: Is this aikuchi a fake or WWII vintage?

Is this aikuchi a fake or WWII vintage?

Greetings folks,

I got this aikuchi recently. I am puzzled because I think it is a reproduction, but I have looked at repos out there and they don't match this one. On the other hand, some aspects of this aikuchi make me think it might be a kaiken from WWII, or less likely a kamikaze dagger.

In the pictures you will notice that there is an engraved dragon and hints of a hamon. The spine is around 3mm-4mm wide, with a very sharp edge, and the blade from edge to habaki is 4.5 inches.

Unfortunately I cannot get the hilt off (may be glued by a previous owner to keep together the broken/split hilt).

Please help me - Jose
    Attached Images Attached Images      

At first look I would say fake. The things that stand out to me are the rather simple horimono, the surface finish that appears to be machine ground, and the shape of the kissaki is not quite right. On second look however the habaki looks to be fairly well fitted and shaped, and the same goes for the back of the blade. This makes me think that it could be a blade that was reshaped, and the horimono was added in an attempt to increase the value. To me it is hard to tell if the hamon that you are seeing is real or a surface texture.The shape of the faint hamon is a little suspect to me. If you could confirm that the Hamon is real, or get a look at the nakago that would go a long way toward determining if this is real.
    GTC

Ok I don't feel so bad - it was a little confusing to me too. I will continue trying to get the brass pin out to look at the nakago, then post. Thanks.