Thread: Beginner Iaito Help

Beginner Iaito Help

To start, hello, my name is Justin Shepherd, nice to meet all of you.

I have never practiced a sword art in my life (in a dojo), as one does not exist in my area, however I would like to learn a bit about Iaito, as it is an interesting art to me. I'm sorry if this offends you, but I'm not looking into it as wanting to become a serious practitioner, but more as a side hobby for some physical activity. So my questions are,

A. What sort of equipment do I need? If you would give links to the best of said equipment for the best price, I would appreciate it.

B. What sort of material could I learn from, whether they be books, videos, or something along those lines? Or if you happen to know of a "find your closest dojo" sort of thing, maybe I could find one close enough.

Again, I am sorry to those of you that are serious practitioners, or any others that this may offend, but I would appreciate the help if you don't mind.

P.S. Merry (day after) Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Shepherd View Post
    To start, hello, my name is Justin Shepherd, nice to meet all of you.
    Hi Justin nice to meet you too.
    I have never practiced a sword art in my life (in a dojo), as one does not exist in my area, however I would like to learn a bit about Iaito, (The art is Iaido or Iaijustu - Iaito is the sword that is not a sword) as it is an interesting art to me. I'm sorry if this offends you, but I'm not looking into it as wanting to become a serious practitioner, but more as a side hobby for some physical activity.
    When you start, if you love it, then its for you.

So my questions are,

A. What sort of equipment do I need? If you would give links to the best of said equipment for the best price, I would appreciate it.
    1. Knee pads - A MUST
    2. A Bokken with Saya. (You can advance ti Iaito if you decide this is for you)
    3. An Obi (Wide belt)
    4. A hakama maybe to finish off Saya fixing through Obi.
    for equipment Nine Circles are good

B. What sort of material could I learn from, whether they be books, videos, or something along those lines? Or if you happen to know of a "find your closest dojo" sort of thing, maybe I could find one close enough.
    Find a teacher - Honestly, you need one to one feedback...where are you based?
    Again, I am sorry to those of you that are serious practitioners, or any others that this may offend, but I would appreciate the help if you don't mind.
    Glad to help, I'm a beginner myself.

P.S. Merry (day after) Christmas.
    Merry Christmas to you also
    Last edited by Gwyn Mowll; 12-26-2013 at 01:18 PM.
    Cryf oedd calon hn y glas glogwyni,
    Cryfach oedd ei ebill ef a'i ddr,
    Chwyddodd gyfoeth gŵr yr aur a'r faenol,
    O'i enillion prin a'i amal gr.

Find a teacher... ask the teacher what you need. Don't buy anything until told to do so or you might risk wasting a lot of money on the wrong items.

Most groups will have some loaner equipment to see if this is really what you want to do before you lay out several hundred on the uniform, training materials and swords.
    "Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of Correggio."
    Elbert Hubbard

Nakamura Ryu Batto Do, Order of Seven Hearts

I'm based in the Wichita, Kansas area, if any of you know dojos around there.

A quick google search. 2nd link up searching for "iaido kansas".

http://www.clear-lake-iaido.com/links/
    Vi Nguyen
    Kenkonkai Dojo
    www.kenkonkai.com

That's the problem, the closest dojo would be at least a hour and a half away, that's why I asked about any books, videos, ect. that I could learn from.

Learning from a book does not give you feedback to know whether you are doing it correct or not. You can not teach yourself something you do not know.
    Vi Nguyen
    Kenkonkai Dojo
    www.kenkonkai.com

Spend the time to visit dojos, even if they are a ways away, it will be worth it to see iaido performed by committed students and teachers. It is very different to see iaido in videos and in person. In person you can feel and see the spirit of the art, which is critical to correct performance. Without spirit it's just a dance.

There are a variety of iaido and iaijutsu organizations in the US, some with multiple branches, some have different approaches to their art than others, and the same techniques can look quite different because of that. But here's the thing, you can't judge the quality of what you are seeing, let alone understand the differences between one style and another or one branch of a style and another since you lack any basis for judgement.

So what you need to do is visit dojos and talk to instructors. Watch how they teach, watch how their students behave toward them, try to get a feel for the spirit of the place. If something feels wrong, look somewhere else. Do internet searches on the instructors. You probably won't get much from them, but if something is really hinky there will be some signs.

When you find a place that feels good. Talk to sensei about your situation and your challenge of distance and see what he or she has to say. They may actually know someone who can help you out closer to you. Sometimes there will be study groups that aren't listed,

Whatever you do however, don't attempt to go it alone. Iaido is far too complicated and precise an art to fool around with. I have studied under a few inspired teachers and one charlatan. The charlatan came first, but I was fortunate to fall into the care of some far better teachers including my current teacher, who teaches about three hours from where I live. I can't get there nearly often enough, but he works with me and inspires me. Find someone like that and it'll change your life.
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    "Not to us Lord, Not to us, but to Thy Name be the Glory"

Adsum, Domine: Totus ingenibus meis ad pedes tuos proponeo.
    Duce et regere servum tui, Domine, ab omnibus temptationem, ita ut honor purus et donum meum incontaminatus sit.
    "Here am I, Lord: All my talents at Thy feet I lay. Guide and guard Thy servant, Lord, from all temptation, that honor may be spotless and my gift unstained."
    - Katherine Kurtz "Healer's Song"