Thread: 1060 Hira-Zukuri Tanto

1060 Hira-Zukuri Tanto

Hey folks it has been a long time since I posted any work up here, let alone put anything up for sale. I have been so busy with commissions and polishing jobs along with my full time job and three children. Where do the hours go.

The blade is a Hira-Zukuri tanto forged from a piece 1060, this steel was a wonderful piece as it forged very well and I was able to form the sunobe and then the blade with in 4 hours. The bar I started with was 1/2" x 1" x 6" and the finished blade has a:

Nagasa: 9 1/2"

The Motohaba is: 1 3/16"

The width at the Mune is 1/4"

the Nakago is: 4 1/2"

The Hamon is a Choji - Midare, the third image shows the hamon, and yes it is there you have to look as the rough polish is just that rough.

The blade is in rough polish and if the new owner so chooses so, I can do the final polish and create the Habaki for a few extra bucks

I am asking $250 for the blade in the rough

To have a final Polish and Habaki, the blade goes to $350
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    John W Smith
    Hitsuji Forge

Keepers of the past, one hammer swing at a time.

Check your PM
    Always have a sense of humor. This is most important when it concerns yourself, it is a strength beyond all measure- Dan Millman

Bump

Price drop to $300
    John W Smith
    Hitsuji Forge

Bump
    John W Smith
    Hitsuji Forge

bump
    John W Smith
    Hitsuji Forge

This blade is still available and is almost done being polished, the Habaki is in a semi final finish and I am working on the shira-saya, in between my regular commission work. I will post more images very soon as I have not been in my shop in a two and a half months which is due the weather we have had. And since I am adding a Shira-Saya the price will go to $400 for the Tanto.

John
    John W Smith
    Hitsuji Forge