Thread: 5 blades - No 1 Blue and Gilt Naval Dirk

5 blades - No 1 Blue and Gilt Naval Dirk

I recently obtained 5 new blades as a job lot.These were originally purchased in 2000 for a pirate themed bar in the USA. I got them at a substantial discount. They are a bit outside my normal comfort zone ( British 19th c. military) so comments and opinions welcome. I will post the 5 over the next few days as separate threads so:

No 1.
    Original sales description : “Georgian naval dirk having a 7 inch blade (10 ins overall). The blade of diamond section is decorated with blue and gilt decoration. The guard is a disk of gilded brass and the pommel is of similar form with en suite decoration. Contained in its gilded scabbard.”
    Stats:
    Weight: 5oz (0.13kg) incl scabbard, 3oz(0.08kg) bare blade
    Length overall: 10'' (25.5cm) Blade:7''(18cm)
    POB: at guard
    Profile taper: 0.53'' (13.9mm) at base, 0.37'' (9.5mm) at mid blade, 0.28''(7.1mm) 2 inches from tip.
    Distal taper 0.20'' (5.2mm) at base, 0.13'' (3.3mm)at mid blade,. 0.1'' (2.6mm)2 inches from tip.
    Ivory handle, blue andgilt blade decoration, foliage and flags. 60 - 70% blue and gilt remaining.

A few questions:
    This is a very small dirk and I wonder if it would have been a practical item or a commemorative/ piece/ decoration? The pommel unscrews, is this usual?
    Original documents say 1720s, about right?.English?

Also posting on Myarmoury.com
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    The journey not the destination

Quote Originally Posted by Guy C View Post
    Original documents say 1720s, about right?.English?
    Add a 100+ years and it'll be correct. English in style, yes, could be English, Scandinavian, Dutch, Danish... I would say this was a naval cadet's dirk.

Thanks Dmitry, so late Georgian rather than early,or would you say Victorian?
    The journey not the destination