Thread: Sword design.

Question Sword design.

Hello to all.
    as a long time fan of swords and as a welder/metalworker i want to make my first sword by stock-removal it out of a strip of good toolsteel i have.
    i'm thinking a blade length of about 38" and a width at the base of about 1.5"
    i want to shape the blade like a diamond so without the fuller,seen this shape on medieval replica's and i'm fond of this kind of blade.
    mij problem is right away how to determine the thickness of the strip toolsteel at the base in order to get the proportions right and i don't end up with a crowbar or a whip.

hope my question is clear enough because english is not my first language.

would like very much to get some feedback from people who have a lot more knowledge than i have about swords.

thanks in advance
    wishes, Luuk.

I would start off by researching dimensions of well made/ well balanced examples of swords you are trying to emulate. Are there any blade smiths operating near you that might be willing to help with design?

Dimensions

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Reyes View Post
    I would start off by researching dimensions of well made/ well balanced examples of swords you are trying to emulate. Are there any blade smiths operating near you that might be willing to help with design?
    Goodday Mr Reyes.
    thanks for reply and yes i did quite a bit of research on sword-dimensions before posting my question here.
    however, i noticed that bladesmith's of large company's do not reveal all their secrets.. with good reason obviously.
    for instance the thickness of steel blades are not mentioned at all or i must be mistaken and looked at the wrong websites.
    also diameters of the pommel,grip,crossbar spec's i did not encounter,but then again this can be my fault.

i wished there was a bladesmith near were i live,would have been a lot more easy for me, or not if he is protecting his professional privacy.
    but i will look more closer in my own backyard,thanks for the hint.

better luck i have already on forums like this were people are willing and interested in providing me an answer.

Regards, Luuk.

Quote Originally Posted by Luuk Brink View Post
    Goodday Mr Reyes.
    thanks for reply and yes i did quite a bit of research on sword-dimensions before posting my question here.
    however, i noticed that bladesmith's of large company's do not reveal all their secrets.. with good reason obviously.
    for instance the thickness of steel blades are not mentioned at all or i must be mistaken and looked at the wrong websites.
    also diameters of the pommel,grip,crossbar spec's i did not encounter,but then again this can be my fault.

i wished there was a bladesmith near were i live,would have been a lot more easy for me, or not if he is protecting his professional privacy.
    but i will look more closer in my own backyard,thanks for the hint.

better luck i have already on forums like this were people are willing and interested in providing me an answer.

Regards, Luuk.

Specifications on swords are in general also a personal preference. Some people prefer lighter swords with a thinner profile, Some prefer heavier swords with a non-tapering profile. The swordsmith uses their skill to make what is within general preference of the end user.

I myself once preferred using short light and wide swords with little to no tapering. But as times changed. I now prefer a heavier longer sword.

What makes the sword good is the Smith's ability to work with the given material and the end result of their heat treatment, as well as there ability to create something that will work with the end user.
    Vi Nguyen
    Kenkonkai Dojo
    www.kenkonkai.com