Thread: Italian Calvary m1871 Saber / Sword - Need help with identification of Maker Mark

Cool Italian Calvary m1871 Saber / Sword - Need help with identification of Maker Mark

I have the m1871 Italian Calvary saber and was hoping someone could help me identify the Maker Mark and the time period of use?

I have looked all over the internet and can't locate anything with this mark... it appears to be a Crown and below it says "C de C" or "G de G" ???? there are some serial numbers too a "12" by the handle and on the shaft of the Sheath "G2128" on the handle there is another serial number "H4373"

SEE ATTACHED 5 PHOTOS!!!!

Joe 510.331.1746 (CALIFORNIA, USA)

Name:  IMG_1314.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  102.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1313.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  96.9 KB

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  99.2 KB

Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  95.2 KB

Name:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  96.9 KB

I hope someone can help me with this... this has been driving me nuts for awhile!!!!

I am sure someone has a book on maker marks or has tips on how to timestamp this piece or region?

Blog Entries
    Hi Joe,

I've run up against the same frustration that you are facing myself, but there is simply not much out there (in English, anyway) covering the minutia of Italian swords. It's unfortunate, as this particular model saber has a lot going for it from a design perspective.
    mark@swordforum.com

~ Hostem Hastarum Cuspidibus Salutemus ~

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
    Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Mark.. appreciate the insight... any ideas of how i could date the sword or any books i can look for that may have the info i am looking for or lists of italian makers? it is suprising that i am unable to find nothing about the makers of this sword besides a few through google searches and such.... i was hoping some smart sword guru on your forum would have the key and look like a hero finding out this really tricky and tough find of information...

Joe. Your first post was yesterday and not only is there a time lag between here and the Continent but everybody doesn't have the luxury or reading the Forum every day. If you will have a little patience someone who is familiar with Italian swords will probably answer you. Regards, Rob
    "Ancora imparo - Michelangelo Buonarotti"

Joe,

Many of the Italian swords from this period were in fact made in Germany, and therefore you might start looking there. Technically the window for these swords is fairly tight (having been replaced by the Model 1900 Cavalry Troopers sword), however there is photographic evidence of it and its variant (the 1871/29) being used up until the 1940s.

The authoritative source for Italian swords of this period is "Storia dell' Arma Bianca Italiana" by Cesare Calamandrei, however it does not address makers.

Rob
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

Thank you Rob.... appreciate it.. i will check out that book.. ya it seems tough to locate this maker mark... let alone any maker in this time period.... it is crazy not enough people who love italian swords knows much about the makers except for a few larger names... like Alex Coppel or Soligen....

anybody with the italian history knowledge can help me identify this maker and history on this sword?