Thread: 1075 forged katana

1075 forged katana

I would like to introduce myself, Rick Jachim. I live in Chicago area.
    I have been attempting the art of sword forging for a few years. (Actually, have been away from it for a year or so for personal reasons, but will be getting back into making them.) I do it as a hobby, as I am an engineer, have worked around steel for almost 20 years, and have collected Nihonto for close the same. One day, decided I was going to merge them and said, hey, why cant I make a knife?? So I did. and here I am.
    Havent sold much, as I dont advertise or anything. I just enjoy the satisfaction of making them, but would think maybe someone else might also enjoy my work. Have sold a few blades over the years. My aspiration is to make katana, as I feel it is the most difficult to make. I use a 2-3 lbs hammer and anvil, with a gas forge and quench in Parks 50 now. I tried water and brine, but was very difficult for sucess so have migrated over for now to engineered oil.

Sooo, I have a katana I made a year or so ago? and to date, my 3rd one. It is a large blade, still in rough shape/polish. It still can use some more refining in shape, mainly at the forward portion of the blade to lighten it some. The kissaki is extra beafy now with excessive niku, as I have not yet ground it out. So it can be polished as it, a little top heavy and robust for super heavy cutter or refined to lighten, ie customized to your liking, purpose and style. It is over 29-3/4" nagasa, 1-5/16" wide a habaki and 1-1/8" wide at yakote and about 1/4" thick at the habaki, measured at the shinogi. It has a high shinogi shape, to lighten it a bit. It is a very robust blade, very hard and well quenched, this is Aldo steel with vanadium in it, so the grain is very tight with tons of activity in hamom, like sunagashi, tobiyaki, yo, and tons of ashi, yakiba is mainly nioi, with some nie within. A fairly wide and soft yakiba, with ashi, considering the high carbon 1075. I had the temp at the sweet spot, as bizen based. (lower temp)
    The boshi is maru and ko-maru,with sand streaked brushed nie on one side, quite nice. The hamon is midare notare, with a mix of gnome, choji and toran-ba notare. I think it is a very nice sword for cutting or enjoying. It is fairly sharp now, but not completely polished so if were to be used to cut, would need a bit more finishing to keen the edge. Dont get me wrong, its still dangerous sharp right now. I made a copper habaki, basic, and a tsuka, fitted with fuchi kashira, modern production grade for cutting. It has a saya, but its messed up, so only for shipping. Would need a new one made for use. I was going to finish, but I rather spend my time, if possible, forging, than finishing, as that is the part I enjoy the most. So this is for sale as is, or I could finish, if someone desires it to be finished for basic use.

Not sure what to ask, as I a new at forging, and I know, as with everything, people pay for the name, and mine is unknown, so...
    This blade really needs a home for someone to use and enjoy.
    I have a pile of tanto and O-tanto too, and two more katana forged but not yet quenched - this is the plan for spring.
    Any questions, just ask. Thanks!
    Rick J.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

No interest?? I see people looking, so thanks.
    It has 4" O-kissaki...well forged and strong, bright hamon, attractive activities....
    would make a killer heavy cutter, a big blade for a big person.(or big ego )
    I worked a bit with Rick B. and SadaHito for learn.
    I can finish some more, I have a few Tsuba Im working on I could fit. ,maybe I will finish more so it shows better.
    Or maybe better luck on ebay.

i believe the forum rules dictate that you must include an asking price.

pm sent

oh yes, sorry Joe and all, I forgot rule as a noobie and didn't post a price.
    I tried to price my work and thought it should be worth $800 at instinct. But know it still needs more work in finish shaping, but also I know it has the potential to be a very nice sword when finished, so will toss out there for $500, as I am unknown smith. As with everything, the price is in the name.
    I will get better in time, this is only my 3rd katana ever made.
    also, as a noob, apologize, I didn't realize there were PM;s on here, I have been getting all week, but just found this out, so have responded to those interested.
    I think 500 is a fair price for what it is, a hand made blade, but the market will really set it, not me. I will take what I can get.
    I just enjoy making them and the art.
    thanks all
    Rick J.

6. PM sent
    Not everything has to be decided at the point of a sword, but somethings can only be decided at the point of a sword.

Thanks all to those who responded and I appreciate the offers. All the discussions on the piece motivated me to start working on it again. I hit it on the first 2 stones this weekend, as stated, the sword still in rough from the grinder. Im not as good as my mentor, Rick B. He is a master at the grinder, my lines wobble a bit, maybe its my cheap grinder lol. Im better at stone for precision work over a 3600 RPM belt, maybe in time I will master the belt.

Anyway, Ive decided to pull the sword from the market and finish it off. Then maybe I'll toss it back on here.