Thread: Trustworthy Kris Dealer?

Trustworthy Kris Dealer?

Hello, I am an amateur interested in purchasing a kris. Eventually I would like to get one directly from an empu, but in the meantime, I was thinking about getting one from this company http://www.keris-indonesia.com, does anyone know if they are a reputable dealer? I certainly don't want to get ripped off, and I would like to get a good kris for the price. What do you kris fans think?

Quote Originally Posted by S. Workman View Post
    Hello, I am an amateur interested in purchasing a kris. Eventually I would like to get one directly from an empu, but in the meantime, I was thinking about getting one from this company http://www.keris-indonesia.com, does anyone know if they are a reputable dealer? I certainly don't want to get ripped off, and I would like to get a good kris for the price. What do you kris fans think?
    Hello, Workman. I am Donny from Jakarta, Indonesia. I would like to share my experience in collecting keris.

My first keris of collection is sengkelat (13 luk), keleng (pamor-less). I bought this in a stand during yearly exhibition INACRAFT 2012 in Jakarta (usually at the end of April). I didn't buy it in purpose, it just because I like it. I knew nothing about keris by that time.

In this kind of exhibition, it is easier to find modern-era keris (kamardikan keris) than old keris. With regard of this, you should decide first, keris from which era that you want to collect.

Ancient keris is harder to acquire because most likely it is already in someone's possession. The other reason is the price. Third, yourself must have experiences in determining whether it is a real old keris or fake old keris (some nasty people try to make new keris' appearance looks old, and sell it like an old keris). Since it needs some experiences, beginner are not advisable to start with hunting old keris. If you really want to have an old keris, ask some one who has enough experiences to help you determine the keris. Finally, regardless the reliability of the seller, you must do the transaction face to face / seeing is beliving. So far, I never purchase a keris from internet.

While for kamardikan keris, the requirement is much simpler : do face to face transaction.

By the way, where are you now ? It seems you try to buy from internet because, currently, you are not in Indonesia.

Hope the other members offer help by sharing their experience to you.

Thank you for your response - that's all very good advice. I am in the United States, so there are not too many sources for old kris. I am not so much worried about whether a kris is actually old, because I don't think they are, usually, but I like the shape and design of some of them. It's actually funny when some website says, "12th century kris for sale!". What I am really worried about is someone just making off with my money. I would rather get a new kris than no kris. I will probably look around and buy some inexpensive kris on ebay until I have refined my tastes and can make some travel contacts through my business which should take me to Indonesia within a couple of years.

I am curious about a website called EriksEdge. I have no experience with this dealer, nor am I familiar with his reputation, but I do enjoy browsing his website.

Quote Originally Posted by J.G. Hopkins View Post
    I am curious about a website called EriksEdge. I have no experience with this dealer, nor am I familiar with his reputation, but I do enjoy browsing his website.
    That is a cool site. Plus I think he's in San Francisco, which is ok for me since I get out there once in a while.

Thank you for your response - that's all very good advice. I am in the United States, so there are not too many sources for old kris. I am not so much worried about whether a kris is actually old, because I don't think they are, usually, but I like the shape and design of some of them. It's actually funny when some website says, "12th century kris for sale!". What I am really worried about is someone just making off with my money. I would rather get a new kris than no kris. I will probably look around and buy some inexpensive kris on ebay until I have refined my tastes and can make some travel contacts through my business which should take me to Indonesia within a couple of years.
    Happy hunting to you.

Glad to hear you want to develop your taste first before determining which kind of keris you want to have for your collection. This is quite reasonable because this is the correct way to start. Some people start directly to hunt old keris, but only few get it right between money paid and the desired keris.

If you someday go to Jakarta, please let me know, because I can share you the address of the store or location which sells keris.

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Y View Post
    Happy hunting to you.

Glad to hear you want to develop your taste first before determining which kind of keris you want to have for your collection. This is quite reasonable because this is the correct way to start. Some people start directly to hunt old keris, but only few get it right between money paid and the desired keris.

If you someday go to Jakarta, please let me know, because I can share you the address of the store or location which sells keris.

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for your offer, I would love to know the address of such a shop, and with luck I will be flying into Jakarta within a few months on business. As it turns out, I did buy 4 blades, and I am very pleased with all of them. One is just incredible, and another is sadly damaged but still retains some of the look and memory of its past glory. Its bittersweet to handle, since it is not pristine, it was likely the pride of some man but was allowed to corrode on a wall by a careless fool. Still, I respect it and am fortunate to be able to cherish it as a memento of the iron smith who crafted it. The work on the sogokan is beyond description.

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for your offer, I would love to know the address of such a shop, and with luck I will be flying into Jakarta within a few months on business. As it turns out, I did buy 4 blades, and I am very pleased with all of them. One is just incredible, and another is sadly damaged but still retains some of the look and memory of its past glory. Its bittersweet to handle, since it is not pristine, it was likely the pride of some man but was allowed to corrode on a wall by a careless fool. Still, I respect it and am fortunate to be able to cherish it as a memento of the iron smith who crafted it. The work on the sogokan is beyond description.
    Here are the address that I know :

1. Room inside Alun-alun Indonesia in Grand Indonesia's 3rd floor which sells keris and antiques.

2. Siena Craft
    Thamrin City, 3rd floor, Blok G31, No 3

3. Rawa Bening Market, at Jatinegara, East Jakarta

4. Museum Pusaka (Heirloom Museum) in Taman Mini Indonesia Indah.

5. Yearly event of INACRAFT (April 23-27, 2014) at Jakarta Convention Hall

Hope these address can help keris lover in hunting their keris when they are in Jakarta.

There are a number of trusted dealers in various countries around the world, PM me for further details.

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Y View Post
    Here are the address that I know :

1. Room inside Alun-alun Indonesia in Grand Indonesia's 3rd floor which sells keris and antiques.

2. Siena Craft
    Thamrin City, 3rd floor, Blok G31, No 3

3. Rawa Bening Market, at Jatinegara, East Jakarta

4. Museum Pusaka (Heirloom Museum) in Taman Mini Indonesia Indah.

5. Yearly event of INACRAFT (April 23-27, 2014) at Jakarta Convention Hall

Hope these address can help keris lover in hunting their keris when they are in Jakarta.
    Sienna Craft has moved to :
    Thamrin City, 3rd floor, Blok A02, No:1

Greetings,

For keris lovers who are in Jakarta in the first week of December, there will be a join-exhibition :

World Heritage Photo Contest Indonesia 2014
    and
    Keris and Tosan Aji exhibition and trading

Thamrin Boulevard Street, Jakarta Pusat, Jakarta 10230, Indonesia
    December 3 to December 7, 2014
    Name:  Thamrin City Exhibition.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  48.8 KB