Thread: Kris Dreams

Kris Dreams

I am not a superstitious person, but I recently acquired a kris which has invaded my dreams. It is a 7 luk kris with a pearlescent pamor which I can't identify. This kris has shown up in my dreams, along with insects and general conflict themes, since I got it. It's a weird effect, I wonder if it's just the novelty of the thing, although I have never had a weapon take over a my sleeping life before and I have many. My sleep has been restless, and a couple of times a night I go down to my library and unsheathe it, inspecting the blade and handling it. Then I go back to sleep. Just very odd. I hope it's something that fades, it's making me tired.

If you don't already dream in technicolor, try garlic (or more garlic)

Quote Originally Posted by Glen C. View Post
    If you don't already dream in technicolor, try garlic (or more garlic)
    I already eat piles of garlic. I think I figured it out…I have been cleaning and oiling one of my new kris each night with a 50/50 mix of almond and clove oil. I seriously laid it on, then wiped and repeated. Lots of clove, lots of potentially psychoactive compounds. Clove is some odd stuff. Either that or its a haunted kris.

Quote Originally Posted by S. Workman View Post
    I already eat piles of garlic. I think I figured it out…I have been cleaning and oiling one of my new kris each night with a 50/50 mix of almond and clove oil. I seriously laid it on, then wiped and repeated. Lots of clove, lots of potentially psychoactive compounds. Clove is some odd stuff. Either that or its a haunted kris.
    Firstly, I am not trying to scare anyone. I have some suggestions for you:

1. Pray according to your religion.

2. Try to find out whether the keris fits you or not by someone who is knowledgeable in this matter and ask the solution from the person.

3. May be the keris missed the bathing ritual or jamasan which is done yearly at Malam Suro (new year's eve of Hijriya / Islamic New Year). If after missed the bathing rituals, nothing happen to the owner, then most likely it is ordinary keris. If something happen, the keris may be treated as pusaka by previous owner. In this case, even if the keris is handed over to the new owner, the ritual must be continued.

Just for information, traditionally, keris is bought or made based on the birthday of the person in Javanese Calendar. If something negative happen after owning the keris, then something is not right.

Hi, 'S'

The cultural importance of the Keris cannot be overstated and the beliefs and traditions that surround them are enormously rich and varied.
    I know very little despite owning a number of Keris and associated items.

I've read that if you sleep with a keris under your pillow it's spirit might talk to you.
    Not sure that sleeping with it actually under the pillow is a very sensible idea, but perhaps under the head of the bed.

I have some lovely Keris and if one of mine were to call to me in my sleep, I would place it under the head of my bed before going to sleep and have a pen and paper or a dictaphone to record any dreams that I had.

Not that I'm a believer in the supernatural in any form... but if I were, then blades with spirits would be top of my list!

There are some interesting sites that talk about this belief, a quick search will show many results.
    Have a look at David Atkinson's excellent site: http://atkinson-swords.com/collectio...ris-power.html

I'll pm you another which is commercial so I can't link to it here.

edit: How about showing us some pictures of it?
    Last edited by Gene Wilkinson; 04-03-2014 at 12:08 PM.

Hey Gene, thanks for the input. I am not superstitious myself, but I am really interested in the psychological impact of objects, especially weapons and objects of a ritual nature. I would happily post pictures of the kris, but every time I try to post pictures, Safari crashes on my computer. I am researching why, but I am no computer expert….
    There is no way I could sleep with a kris under a pillow, my wife already thinks I'm nuts and she would call for an involuntary committal if she saw me putting a kris under the pillow!

Hi 'S'

If you want, I'll host your pictures for this thread.
    Let me know and I'll PM you my email address.

Yes indeed. I wouldn't recommend sleeping with one actually under the pillow.... But under the bed at the head-end would seem to me to be close enough.

Keris are beautiful. My interest in them stems from my love of pattern welded steels and wootz.
    So I've bought a fair few Keris and even a Tombak to have some examples of Pamor.
    Here is one of my favourites below. I'm told that the Pamor is 'Adeg Sapu' "standing broom" (thanks to Alan for that information):

Last edited by Gene Wilkinson; 04-04-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Collecting keris will always relate to supernatural stories, from gaining a keris by supernatural way to supernatural events (both auspicious and in auspicious) after having a keris.

However, it is up to the keris owner about how to treat the supernatural stories. Me myself consider the supernatural stories as side stories of owning a keris.

Though so, in 2 years time of collecting keris, I do get familiar with this kind of phenomenons.

What I have learned in these 2 years :
    - There are no 2 kerises that has the exactly the same physical appearance because they are products of handmade craft.
    - In the past, keris was forged based on the auspicious day and auspicious hour calculation coming from the would-be-owner's birthday in Javanese calendar.
    - The smith of the past (mpu) also have at least 4 rituals until the keris is handed over to the owner :
    rituals when choosing the materials
    forging commencement rituals after knowing the auspicious day and hour
    inviting or implanting specific power as requested from the owner when ordering
    hand-over ritual as the last ritual.

- if you have an old keris and if possible, please trace the origin of the keris. If the old keris comes from Keraton (Javanese palace or other palace in Indonesia), most likely that the keris has specific power.The second possibility, the keris may, before now, belongs to spiritual practitioners of the past time (It can be dukun (shaman) or pandita (priest)). By knowing this at least you are not that surprised.

- As the era advances this supernatural content is getting less. Keris is still produced by forging but these rituals mostly shorten to rituals when choosing materials and the hand-over ritual, especially in Keris Kamardikan.

- As what I have read, in the past, the owner may had one way communication with the keris and the other way around. The process called "tayuh" or "menayuh". In this process, the owner is using a pendulum above unsheated keris of his own and examine the way the pendulum sway. Before asking question, the owner determined left-right-sway means "YES" and back-front-sway means "No" or the opposite. Give time for the pendulum some time to sway before asking the next question. Before asking question, the owner has to assure that he have well-maintained the keris and after asking question, say "thanks for your answers". For Workman's dream case, it is the communication started from the keris. Keris wanted to tell you something by its own or as requested by the owner to appear in the dream.

- How about the beginner that don't know yet their birthday in Javanese Calendar but want to have a keris as a start ? That's the same with my case. Preferably, it is better you have the sense of art. If you buy that keris, you buy it based on the beauty not the mystical content. Sometimes, beginners' luck do happen : you may get good keris without any knowledge about keris.

However, these are my sharing. Hope you may find it useful.
    Last edited by Donny Y; 04-04-2014 at 07:46 PM.

That's a beauty you have there Gene

I'm certified nuts and embrace it....I sleep with one Malay keris in my collection of about 20....it is the only one that I have this affinity for...yep nuts, who cares, embrace it and learn from it.

S.Workman, what country is your Keris from?

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin.N View Post
    That's a beauty you have there Gene

I'm certified nuts and embrace it....I sleep with one Malay keris in my collection of about 20....it is the only one that I have this affinity for...yep nuts, who cares, embrace it and learn from it.

S.Workman, what country is your Keris from?
    Gavin
    Its from Java, I think, but it has a Bali hilt so it threw me off at first.

G'Day Gav!

Thanks Circumstances mean that I'm going to have to let some of my Keris go, but this one is staying. It's a real fav of mine!
    Ever had any dreams about the Malay one under your pillow?

I just want to share about another way used by the spirit or khodam of the keris to communicate with the owner.

Recently, I handed over all my kerises to Sienna Craft for Jamasan Suro and Sajen Suro. First day of Suro for this year was October 25. The jamasan and sajen can be done on any day during the month of Suro.

The process for all kerises except one of my keris had run well.

My sengkelat keris seemed refuse to be "warang"-ed. The warangan process failed many times or the result is not perfect.

The shop owner of Sienna Craft seemed run out of solutions. By that time, he needed to go to Yogjakarta to take care of something. He decided to bring my keris and asked someone there (friends or relatives) for the solution during the trip.

The solution was simple. The warangan process failed because the spirit of khodam asked for specific sajen in addition to the usual sajen which already served earlier. It turned out that the spirit asked for fried or steamed catfish (fried catfish is a common dishes in Indonesia and it is easily found in road side foodstall)

After the catfish dishes served as sajen, believe it or not, the warangan was successful by 1 try.

As I write, believe it or not, it's up to the reader.