Thread: What do you think about this?

What do you think about this?

Hi everybody,

I don´t know absolutely nothing about swords, but maybe this can be interesting for you and I can learn something about this one.

I saw it in a street market, with the frame and I bought it.
    Is it supposed to be a Jian sword.? Somebdoy told me that the sccabard is atipical, in the opposite side of the usual ones.

Sorry about my poor english, I´m from Spain :-(

Thank you so much!

Yes, it's a jian. A modern one, of course. It's an odd combination, with an ancient-style scabbard and a newer-style guard. The scabbard is sort of Han/Tang, and the guard is Ming/Qing.

A scabbard like this is hung at the side from the belt. The side that's displayed would be the inside side if hung on the left side as usual. (That's why it's the "wrong" side.) If the other side is unornamented, then it's a left-handed scabbard (meaning it's meant to be worn on the right hand side).

How long is it? (From the photo, it could be a sizable two-hander, or a dagger.)
    "In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.

Quote Originally Posted by Timo Nieminen View Post
    Yes, it's a jian. A modern one, of course. It's an odd combination, with an ancient-style scabbard and a newer-style guard. The scabbard is sort of Han/Tang, and the guard is Ming/Qing.

A scabbard like this is hung at the side from the belt. The side that's displayed would be the inside side if hung on the left side as usual. (That's why it's the "wrong" side.) If the other side is unornamented, then it's a left-handed scabbard (meaning it's meant to be worn on the right hand side).

How long is it? (From the photo, it could be a sizable two-hander, or a dagger.)
    It's 110 cm length more or less...