Thread: Lombok Keris info sought

Lombok Keris info sought

On another forum I found a keris for sale from Lombok, and it had a seemingly symmetrical or near symmetrical ganjah, and holes cut through the blade just above the ganjah. I have looked through my keris books in vain for this type. Can anybody give me some more information on these keris? In my copy of the story "Bhima Swarga", the demons appear to be armed with a similar keris, which I thought was interesting. What do you all think?

Quote Originally Posted by S. Workman View Post
    On another forum I found a keris for sale from Lombok, and it had a seemingly symmetrical or near symmetrical ganjah, and holes cut through the blade just above the ganjah. I have looked through my keris books in vain for this type. Can anybody give me some more information on these keris? In my copy of the story "Bhima Swarga", the demons appear to be armed with a similar keris, which I thought was interesting. What do you all think?
    Hello Workman,

With your permission, I would like to see the picture that you saw from the other forum either by private message or posting it here, before making any opinion

Hopefully, these will appear, I have problems posting images...Name:  Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 10.28.26 PM.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  25.2 KBName:  Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 10.28.01 PM.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  41.3 KB

I don't know about the holes in the blade, but I have managed to research the blade/ganjah shape, and it's called dapur sepang.

Quote Originally Posted by S. Workman View Post
    Hopefully, these will appear, I have problems posting images...Name:  Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 10.28.26 PM.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  25.2 KBName:  Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 10.28.01 PM.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  41.3 KB
    As long as I can notice, the holes are relatively in smooth and neat shape and no rust at the holes' border. Based on these characteristics, I assume that it may be a relatively new keris or at least more recent keris.

After it was finished, ancient keris will not be that smooth in shape. Moreover, the keris hole should have some rust or corroded because of the warangan process.