Thread: !821 Pattern Heavy Cavalry Undress sword, pre 1896, and cavalry 1896 up to 1912

!821 Pattern Heavy Cavalry Undress sword, pre 1896, and cavalry 1896 up to 1912

Hi all,

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who might own a sword or swords with the Heavy Cavalry guard, that were originally owned by an officer of the EIC or Indian Army, or can be identified as having been used by an officer of a particular regiment of the Indian Army. Swords with this hilt type and unusual blades are of particular interest.

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by gordon byrne View Post
    Hi all,

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who might own a sword or swords with the Heavy Cavalry guard, that were originally owned by an officer of the EIC or Indian Army, or can be identified as having been used by an officer of a particular regiment of the Indian Army. Swords with this hilt type and unusual blades are of particular interest.

Gordon
    As a second option, does anyone have any photos of officers of the cavalry of the Indian Army that gives a clear view of them holding or wearing swords with the 1821 Pattern Honeysuckle hilt?

Gordon,
    I know that you know of this famous one of Probyn's Horse, but I'm not sure that's a normal 1821 HC hilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Easton View Post
    This sword in the NAM seems closely related to the Probyn's Horse example above:
    http://www.nam.ac.uk/online-collecti...c=1982-09-20-1

Some interesting swords in India here, but late for you: http://lafayette.org.uk/kin8582.html
    Hi Matt,

I tend to think that the hilt visible in the Probyn's Horse photo is of a totally different composition, and like nothing I've seen before; whereas Green's sword hilt has more large scrolls within the format of the basket.

As you say, the other link shows some interesting swords and splendid uniforms, but quite late.

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Easton View Post
    Gordon,
    I know that you know of this famous one of Probyn's Horse, but I'm not sure that's a normal 1821 HC hilt.

Hi to all,

Regarding that picture, the officer in the right seems to wear a special glove, reinforced with metal straps. If so, I suppose it was to protect the unarmed arm from cuts coming from the left. Interesting feature, if that was the intention.

Juan J.
    SI, SI
    NO, NON

Gauntlets and mail pieces were not uncommon in the Indian cavalry - they are quite well documented as being worn on the bridle hand and horse artillery often used to have chains down their outer side leg (when they were riding the gun carriage). What is particularly of note in that photo is that the gentleman in the centre seems to be wearing a matching glove, but on the other hand.

Thanks, Matt. I wasn't aware of such a relatively late use of this sort of protective pieces.

About the other glove... well, maybe they had just one pair and had to share it!
    SI, SI
    NO, NON