Thread: A plea for help in tracking down some specific Japanese koshirae...

A plea for help in tracking down some specific Japanese koshirae...

Hi guys / girls,

this is kind of a long story - I've been working on making accurate replicas of the swords from Kill Bill, and other than Bill's sword, it's going fine. The correct fittings were all find-able, except for Bill's sword. It, on the other hand, is being all 'hard to get', and I can't find these fittings anywhere. I've looked for literally years, asked every sword supplier in Japan I know of (and a number not in Japan), but they're not turning up. If anyone (in Japan or elsewhere) has seen these fittings, could you please give me a heads up? I'm out of leads to follow.

Here's what I know about them:

- Han-dachi or tachi style
    - Possibly from an Okita Souji iaito (at some point in the past).
    - Look like silver-plated brass (or possibly solid silver).
    - Were available (10+ years ago) as an option for Japanese iaito.
    - I really only need the fuchi/kashira - figure I can mold/cast the kashira to make the kojiri.

If anyone reading this is in Japan, and visits any of the iaito stores, maybe they could keep an eye out for these fittings? Any help or tips from anyone is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    jason
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by jblakey; 06-11-2014 at 09:37 AM.

The simple solution would be to have someone make them for you... question is... how much are you willing to spend?
    The metal you are looking at is probably shibuichi... a mixture of copper and silver.

I just bought an antique set for $100. They are available as well... ricecracker.com has a set right now on his site and hypercafe sells new ones as sets.

Just have to look in the right place...
    "Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of Correggio."
    Elbert Hubbard

Nakamura Ryu Batto Do, Order of Seven Hearts

Hi Christopher,

thanks for the info - I was hoping to spend somewhere in the 100-300 range, something like the current cost of production iaito fittings. I know I could go custom-made, but whatever blade I put those fittings on, as a Bill's sword replica, is probably not going to be worth cash...

Checked ricecracker, they've got a set that's close, but not exactly correct. And I've been over Hyper-cafe many times, and I haven't seen anything close there.

Thanks again,
    jason

Try this they're not perfect but they are silver, http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...dachi+fittings, otherwise there's an antique set fuchi and kashira in the classifieds.

Hi Jay

I think I saw a least half of what you are looking for in an iron reproduction on Fred Lohman's site: http://www.japanese-swords.com/pages/daisho.htm
    http://www.japanese-swords.com/pages/kojiri.htm

Hi Guys,

thanks very much for the hints - those are close, but was looking for exactly the same set. Thanks to another hint, I managed to find them at Nosyudo in Japan. Namioka-san was very nice to deal with, and there should be a set arriving in the next couple of days!

Thanks again,
    jason

Koshirae found!

Thanks to Nosyudo in Japan, I now have a set of these fittings! Thanks for your suggestions, guys.

Jason

May I ask how you were able to purchase fittings from Nosyudo in Japan?

Hi,

I had no problems dealing with Ikuko Namioka there - very polite, easy transaction. The fittings were pricey, but they're rare and from Japan, so it's to be expected.

I did have to do a money transfer instead of PP, but that was the only hassle.

Thanks,
    jason
    Thanks,
    jason